X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    alien

• alien
    replied
    I'm an Ubuntu/unity user, mostly for work purposes (sysadmin stuff), and a few months ago I wanted to find a replacement.

I spent a few weeks trying out KDE, gnome and xfce4, only to notice that they all have inferior multiple screen support(I have two external 24" screens driven by a docked laptop, which also has its display enabled) which made me return to unity. It is the only one where each of my screens is handled as my main screen as long as my mouse is there. All the others had a primary screen monopolizing the controls and were often showing dialogs on the primary screen while I was focused on another one. Unity also keeps multiple screen arrangement profiles, so when I go home and plug my external 27" screen, it works out of the box. All the others needed to be reconfigured back and forth.

Leave a comment:

• Aeder

• Aeder
    replied
    They have acknowledged this article.
    And since KDE does listen to user feedback if it makes sense, we decided we should do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• Xisiqomelir

• Xisiqomelir
    replied
    This notion of "common language icons" is another toxic notion foisted on us by UI developers who have never read a professionally-written set of human interface guidelines. It is what is responsible for the proliferation of the absurd "hamburger" menu icon, which UI designers themselves will admit are never clicked.

Leave a comment:

• colomar

• colomar
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Author's request: No flaming. I don't care if you disagree with me, that's fine-- I expect that, its an editorial after all. But no "You're a dumbass." "Go kill yourself." "Apple Fanboy!" or anything like that. If you disagree with me say why and explain. I wanted this article to bring about a discussion and honest critiquing.
    Hi, Thomas Pfeiffer, KDE interaction designer here. Thank you for your input, Eric! We have found that your article contained (mostly) constructive criticism and it did make us think. We actually did a workshop at this year's Akademy dedicated to your article! I'm now writing a two-part article documenting the results, the first part has already been published: http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/09/02/...are-kde-deals/
    I hope you like how we reacted to your article and feel encouraged to offer us constructive feedback again in the future.
    Best,
    Thomas

Leave a comment:

• Apostolos

• Apostolos
    replied
    Some points are valid but this comparison is unfair. You should compare Fedora Workstation with a reasonably up-to-date KDE-centric distribution like Kubuntu. I started using KaOS t o d a y and I like their work. I also like their philosophy (focus on one DE, one toolkit, one architecture). Fedora 22 KDE is really bad. I had major problems with keyboard shotcuts in kmenuedit when I tried it.They don't put enough attention to testing it or they don't have the abillities to do it. In Manjaro KDE plasmashell was segfaulting every now and then. But Fedora is Gnome-centric and Manjaro is Xfce-centric. We shouldn't judge them primarily by their KDE spins but we shouldn't judge Plasma 5 by their spins either. Last but not least, Debian Testing (netinstall) with Plasma 5 was far more stable Fedora KDE and Manjaro KDE, at least for me.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by moilami View Post

Well yeah, but curiously enough in the college of engineering they didn't have w3.11 machines either, I have managed to completely pass w3.11
    At my Dad's workplace, they still have a working Windows 3 machine that has one job: Print to a really old printer. It's also the only thing that works properly when there's issues with all the new computers...

Leave a comment:

• moilami

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post

You don't need to have actually used it to know what it looked like. Google provides tons of screenshots of all these desktops.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window..._workspace.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window..._first_run.png

Testing doesn't necessarily help generate ideas but it helps identify ones which just don't work, or need refinement. Creation of paradigm shifting ui and extensive testing can coexist happily, side-by-side.
    Well yeah, but curiously enough in the college of engineering they didn't have w3.11 machines either, I have managed to completely pass w3.11

Leave a comment:

• liam

• liam
    replied

Hehe, I know how w95 looked, but I haven't ever seen w3.11 I think except boxes containing the installation disks and stuff, which I saw a lot. I used Amiga in those times and my PC friends used plain DOS

You don't need to have actually used it to know what it looked like. Google provides tons of screenshots of all these desktops.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window..._workspace.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window..._first_run.png

Testing doesn't necessarily help generate ideas but it helps identify ones which just don't work, or need refinement. Creation of paradigm shifting ui and extensive testing can coexist happily, side-by-side.

Leave a comment:

• moilami

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post

Windows 95 was just a windows 3.11 ripoff.
    Windows 7 is swindows 2000 ripoff.
    What is it about win95 that makes people use it as a benchmark for poor ui? Do people not know what it actually looks like?
    Hehe, I know how w95 looked, but I haven't ever seen w3.11 I think except boxes containing the installation disks and stuff, which I saw a lot. I used Amiga in those times and my PC friends used plain DOS

Leave a comment:

• liam

• liam
    replied
    I think I am happy that no "exhaustive testing" was made for Gnome 3, else I bet lowest common denominator would had pressured Gnome to remain as W95 ripoff
    Windows 95 was just a windows 3.11 ripoff.
    Windows 7 is swindows 2000 ripoff.
    What is it about win95 that makes people use it as a benchmark for poor ui? Do people not know what it actually looks like?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X