The NSA Is Looking At Systemd's KDBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post

Why are you in almost every thread about systemd, and ONLY in those threads? Are you some kind of PR?
    I have commented on Xorg, GNOME, Mono etc pretty recently. Just like you, I participate in topics that I am interested and want to comment on. Moreover, unlike you, I use my full name and my contributions are pretty visible.

Comment

Nice, early auditing, especially before it gets into the kernel, is always appreciated. NSA may be spies, but that's not all they are.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Nice, early auditing, especially before it gets into the kernel, is always appreciated. NSA may be spies, but that's not all they are.
        Well... they're the SIGINT arm of the US Spying Trifecta. The thing is since they, the US Army, and various other parts of the US government uses Linux it is actually in part their job and in their self interest to make sure it's secure.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

I strongly suggest to read the kernel mailing list to understand the topic. By trying attacking the poster due to the position, you, as anonymous, sound like paranoid, you are not helping your cause.
          I've read a bit, and many of the times I've read threads related to systemd, I get the feeling that they, systemd devs, simply don't care about criticisms or critics, they sometimes reply and leave as if they were absolutely right, other times they won't reply. I also don't think they understand the point of view of those who come from infosec. Attackers will use any resources to pwn systems, no matter how "dangerous" or "stupid" that could seemingly be, but they keep talking about "correct behavior".

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I have commented on Xorg, GNOME, Mono etc pretty recently. Just like you, I participate in topics that I am interested and want to comment on. Moreover, unlike you, I use my full name and my contributions are pretty visible.
          Well, the "ONLY in those threads" part was an exaggeration added for effect... but yeah, I've seen you in lots of threads related to GNOME and systemd. ​Now, I wish I was being paid by Red-Hat to work directly with Linux . Or Canonical, or anyone, really. But I don't think they pay you to defend their stuff, do they?
          I don't really care about attribution for the (few) contributions I've made, I just do it. I also don't care about exposing myself openly to the internet, neither as a way of doing marketing nor for being egocentric.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          Well... they're the SIGINT arm of the US Spying Trifecta. The thing is since they, the US Army, and various other parts of the US government uses Linux it is actually in part their job and in their self interest to make sure it's secure.
          Also, they have an obvious interest in the development process, since it makes it easier for them to find ways of exploiting it.

Comment

Well, the "ONLY in those threads" part was an exaggeration added for effect... but yeah, I've seen you in lots of threads related to GNOME and systemd. ​Now, I wish I was being paid by Red-Hat to work directly with Linux . Or Canonical, or anyone, really. But I don't think they pay you to defend their stuff, do they?
            I don't really care about attribution for the (few) contributions I've made, I just do it. I also don't care about exposing myself openly to the internet, neither as a way of doing marketing nor for being egocentric.
            I get paid by neither Red Hat nor Canonical at all. So this is yet another incorrect assertion. You need to ask yourself why you feel the need to exaggerate and make wrong assumptions. Also posting anonymously is an easy way to disassociate yourself from your own opinions and judging from your posts, I can see why you would want to do that. Next time, it might be better to focus on the content rather than the person.

Comment

Well, considering that the NSA has to use this stuff also (SElinux anyone?) they probably would like to know what all this "credential faking" is about.
              I agree with Michael; This particular case isn't a situation where you should be suspicious of them.
              Last edited by NateHubbard; 10 July 2015, 07:46 PM. Reason: I can't type

Comment

The exaggerating, attacking the person, pretending to be someone's manager and anti Red Hat stuff is not appreciated. It's very obvious you have nothing to say. Either say something useful or maybe just STFU. Thanks

PS: And yeah, doing that while wanting to be anonymous is kinda pathetic.

Comment

Nice clickbait Michael

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    They should have just used a simple virtual file-based IPC as is the Unix philosophy, instead of a special socket type.
                    Seems the guys from Plan 9 from Bell Labs who designed the IPC system Plumber got it right.
                    Then you could enforce security on a file-based level via chmod, chgrp, chown, AppArmor and SELinux.
                    Someone already gave you a reason why it might not be as simple as you think.
                    Perhaps you can respond to that first instead of repeating the same thing to other people who may not have seen that prior response?

Comment

While I am one of those people who dislike our intelligence agencies and don't trust them. Having them double check the security of KDBUS will make me fee it is more secure. Unless they start sending in tricky patches.

Comment

Working...
                      X