Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Rumor Pegs Microsoft Wanting To Buy AMD

Phoronix: Latest Rumor Pegs Microsoft Wanting To Buy AMD

Following the recent report that AMD is exploring splitting itself up or potentially selling off business units, there's now a rumor out there that Microsoft has set its sights on AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KitGuru will never get AMD card for review

Comment

Microsoft has been buying hardware companies recently, so this rumor doesn't sound that impossible. However, I expect if any sales happening, there will be parts of AMD sold, not whole company. It seems that shareholders are getting very itchy with mismanagement of AMD (which unfortunately is visible every day).

If Radeon part is bought by Microsoft it's pretty much game over for open source and most likely binary drivers too. They will just keep it alive for making next iterations of Xbox. For them having Linux support, especially after Steam Machine rollout, will be illogical.

If Microsoft buys only AMD core business and toss Radeon aside and it gets picked by someone else...good question who would want it to be. If I would be Valve I would look into buying Radeon part, because it would remove shackles of graphics cards vendors. For Valve it would make more sense as PC consoles are more about raw power, not convenience.

I think some sort of selling AMD off will happen. Company is in bad shape and they need to do something about it. I don't think Radeon will go to /dev/zero, but it will be very nervous months before air clears and we get full picture.

Comment

I doubt it. Could be fun if they did though.

Comment

I'd rather see Samsung buy them.

Comment

As odd as it might sound, I would expect Intel to step in before AMD can be broken up or sold. They would probably rather assist their competitor in revitalizing their company rather than deal with the liabilities and legal issues that come with having a monopoly in the x86 market.

Comment

It's too much like an April Fool's joke to take seriously, certain anti-trust issues with the EU and others. A more credible suitor that has been thrown up is Qualcomm. Sounds like the work of a football agent planting news stories and talking up a player to jack the price up.
              Last edited by Slartifartblast; 29 June 2015, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Samsung, Microsoft, Qualcomm
                can't decide on who would ruin it the most
                If we are talking pure tech ruining it is Qualcomm
                Samsung would ruin the software entirely
                and MS would probablly keep stuff working but ruin the software for competitors
                Last edited by user82; 29 June 2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

This prospect sounds so horrible that it could be actually true At least the fact that there is a Microsoft proves there is no {G|g}od.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                    Samsung, Microsoft, Qualcomm
                    can't decide on who would ruin it the most
                    Then I prefer Samsung, they are already committed in open source (Tizen, Wayland, F2FS...) or, at least, more than the other two (admittedly it is not so difficult considering the other two competitors)

Comment

Working...
                    X