Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Bet On "X12" Succeeding X11 Rather Than Wayland (Or Mir)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Bet On "X12" Succeeding X11 Rather Than Wayland (Or Mir)

Phoronix: Don't Bet On "X12" Succeeding X11 Rather Than Wayland (Or Mir)

While there's long been an X.Org Wiki page with some pipe dreams for X12 as the successor to the X11 protocol, don't bet on it ever happening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully within the next year or so we'll finally see Fedora and other Linux distributions defaulting to a Wayland-based environment over an X.Org Server.
    Wait, I thought Wayland was supposed to be the default in Fedora 23 which is already coming this year. Was that plan cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
      Wait, I thought Wayland was supposed to be the default in Fedora 23 which is already coming this year. Was that plan cancelled?
      Wayland is still greenlit for Fedora 23, AFAIK, which is SUPPOSED to be released this fall but Fedora has a habit of releases slipping 1 to 3 months late, so we'll see if Fedora 23 is -actually- released this calendar year.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
        I'm also waiting for Rawhide to switch to Wayland by default. With Xwayland/Wayland clipboard interoperability now working in the development version of Gnome I don't see too many blockers.

Comment

I don't bet on anything in the Linux world. Yeah, this article has a few nice words about Wayland too. Basically at its current form it's no better than X11 or it might be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            I don't bet on anything in the Linux world. Yeah, this article has a few nice words about Wayland too. Basically at its current form it's no better than X11 or it might be even worse.
            If the rest of the article is the same quality as the wayland section then it needs to be taken with a large grain of salt
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

If the rest of the article is the same quality as the wayland section then it needs to be taken with a large grain of salt
              What's wrong with the Wayland section?

Comment

The problem with X11 source code is that it is a unintelligible mess. I briefly peered into the code (to figure out why programmatically maximizing windows is buggy) and there was little to make sense of. Comments are very sparse, and I get the impression devs are afraid to make changes because they don't know what (side) effects that will have. AFAIK, the only development in X11 currently is patching bugfixes and only rarely a small new feature (due to critical new hardware or OS feature) and that's as far as X11 devs apparently dare to go. IMO X11 code is to far gone, a thousand code monkeys couldn't fix it in a hundred years.

But fixing X11 proper would result into something like Wayland anyway. And Wayland is what X devs are working on now. And it will take much less time to get it functional than messing with dusty and moldy X code.

Wayland is X12! Its just breaking API backward compatibility.
                Last edited by Remdul; 16 June 2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

What's wrong with the Wayland section?
                  The whole article is written by an idiot, just reading the kernel bug report he submitted shows that.
                  "I want ext3 without those pesky file permissions" - no, what you want is a different filesystem..

There's loads of rubbish throughout that page, mostly due to him not understanding the roles of certain tech (ie, kms itself doesn't need a 'safe mode', that is up to what resolution it is told to be), as well as some of them being outright lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Basically everything said in that link was flat out wrong. There some truth in there, but it's mixed in with so much exaggeration and lies.

Comment

Working...
                    X