Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, aplay -l (with PulseAudio) lists 4 devices and 256 subdevices each. So I guess you're right and the wiki is outdated (and last I used ALSA it probably wasn't supported yet). Mind you, I have four audio devices, and only one of them has hardware acceleration, so that's not very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Well, aplay -l (with PulseAudio) lists 4 devices and 256 subdevices each. So I guess you're right and the wiki is outdated (and last I used ALSA it probably wasn't supported yet). Mind you, I have four audio devices, and only one of them has hardware acceleration, so that's not very useful.
      They all *have* hardware acceleration, card is up to 128 hardware voices and those 4 are just presentation of channels for multichannel audio.

Comment

No, I don't mean the channels on the X-Fi, I mean that I also have integrated audio, HDMI audio and a USB microphone, and they all need to cooperate with each other.

Comment

My personal pulseaudio story form a desktop user perspektive.

When pulseaudio was introduced in ubuntu 9.04 it was a nightmare.

-It broke every single availible native linux game like:
          doom3 quake4 quakewars quake1/2/3 and also a open source games.
          -sound was either stuttering or with really high latency in wine.
          -it crashed even on desktop music players video players etc.
          -deaktivating it, killing it in the taskmanager, disabling it, uninstalling it well you need to know how to do that, and obvious ways don't really work.

going back to alsa? nope that won't work either because there are just too many problems with dependencys.
          using lubuntu which doesn't ship with pulse on default, -> nope dependencys.

Well things got a lot better over the years I have to say, know that i know how to use pasuspender and overall stabiltiy got better, but really from ubuntu 9.04-11.10 pulse was a nightmare, but still even now i occasionally got sound latency issues with wine.
          How could someone ship this unstable unfinished piece of *software*? During that time I really used windows a lot because it was just not usable.

Saying "Pulsaudio is awesome" is just wrong on so many levels considering how much troubles i had with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rudl View Post
            My personal pulseaudio story form a desktop user perspektive.
            My first, and favourite experience:

KHRKHRKHRKHR KHRKHR

I remember jumping out of my seat. Had I been 60 I probably would have had a heart attack and died right there.

Comment

I've removed pulse audio installed VLC setting audio channel I prefer, and I hear music and play DVD by Xonar d2X.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                Anyway, I heard you guys/gals, I'll reinstall PA and try again, with the Arch conf even. I'll report back.
                SO this was it, kinda forced and still not used as default but hey, at least is along side ALSA now: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...220#post830220

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  I felt embarrassed just reading that blog oh god... But I'm glad things work for him.
                  But things work even better if you remove unnecessary level of complexity and simply use ALSA :P
                  Abstractions are hardly "unnecessary level of complexity".

Quite the opposite, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

So this issue depends on alsa developpers... good to know. Where to get a list of sound cards where hardware mixer works on linux systems?

I've to make disappear PULSE AUDIO from my linux operating system, so I prefer to buy an older card rather than to use this piece of crap of pulse audio server.
                    Translation: "I don't know shit about sound systems and am unable to google a generic hardware support list, yet have decided that Pulse Audio is crap and Lennart Poettering a horrible developer"...

Comment

• It's not people ranting and spreading FUD, it's people ranting and complaining about a product that has done nothing but get in their way and kill their audio quality. Sure, for some users pulse works fine, Paul Frields is clearly one of these people. But everytime I have personally tried to use pulseaudio, it has met me with high latency issues (sound lag) and in some slightly rarer cases, heavily reduced sound quality and/or buzzing sounds where there should be no sounds at all. Not to mention it is a nightmare to configure it, especially since some configuration options don't always work (and I'm talking about configuring it by editing the settings files, not using some GUI).

And it doesn't take a smart person to see that overall, pulseaudio is a terrible sound server design, it's slow, it's fat, it's heavy and it really doesn't do anything in the long run, the only real use case I see for pulseaudio is streaming audio over network, that's it, that's the only thing I see it do that ALSA can't do on it's own, better than how Pulse does it. That's not FUD, that's just my factual experiences with sound on Linux. I'm not a huge fan of ALSA, but I really, really hate pulse.

Comment

Working...
                      X