This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Haaaa! I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer, and what you said is completely false. One, it does not have hardware mixing, which you would see quite easily by looking at the ALSA wiki: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...-Creative_Labs Two, while its support on Linux is quite poor, it doesn't come close to how utterly terrible their drivers are on Windows. Those cause BSODs, as well as terrible noise while recording unless set in a peculiar way.

I have been hearing good things about Xonars too, and I wish I had known sooner so that I wouldn't have bought the X-Fi...
    That page is simply outdated. For once, it says Titanium HD is not supported but it is since 2012. Secondly I had XtremeGamer in the past and it had all of its (128?) hardware voices available to ALSA.

The only true thing is that ALSA does not support useless whistles like Crystalizer and shit.

Comment

It couldn't possible to optimize sound driver for integrated audio cards during installation phase enabling HARDWARE AUDIO ACCELERATION in those systems provided by audio hardware suport!? It's so simple...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        That's exactly PA's second biggest problem. Normal people don't know that they should care about audio latency. And yet, since they don't know the PA devs use it as an excuse. It's always excuses. The PA devs should care in place of the normal people, because they -do- know that they should care about audio latency.
        Well, the amount of importance low-latency audio should have is subjective. For my needs I don't mind having 50ms of latency in exchange of higher quality resampler.
        I don't see many scenarios where low latency is important for the average user.

EDIT: Very few people need highend audio hardware. Less than 100mhz of modern day CPU cycles should be more than plenty.
        I disagree. I prefer very high quality audio with some CPU performance impact rather than low quality resamplers with low CPU overhead. Again, this is subjective.

Originally posted by Azrael5
        It couldn't possible to optimize sound driver for integrated audio cards during installation phase enabling HARDWARE AUDIO ACCELERATION in those systems provided by audio hardware suport!? It's so simple...
        It's one of those things that are easier said than done. For that to happen, PA needs a completely new codepath and after that is done, it's one more codepath to maintain. Factor in the rate at which hardware mixing is becoming obsolete and you have very few reasons to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post

Well, the amount of importance low-latency audio should have is subjective. For my needs I don't mind having 50ms of latency in exchange of higher quality resampler.
          I don't see many scenarios where low latency is important for the average user.

I disagree. I prefer very high quality audio with some CPU performance impact rather than low quality resamplers with low CPU overhead. Again, this is subjective.

It's one of those things that are easier said than done. For that to happen, PA needs a completely new codepath and after that is done, it's one more codepath to maintain. Factor in the rate at which hardware mixing is becoming obsolete and you have very few reasons to do it.
          It doesn't sound like you realize that your ears are far more sensitive to latency than your eyes. 50ms is very near the threshold that your eyes will notice, but it's waaaay over what your ears will notice. 15ms is probably close to an absolute maximum, with 1 or maybe 2ms being a more realistic maximum.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you realize that your ears are far more sensitive to latency than your eyes. 50ms is very near the threshold that your eyes will notice, but it's waaaay over what your ears will notice. 15ms is probably close to an absolute maximum, with 1 or maybe 2ms being a more realistic maximum.
            Oh, believe me, I know that. What you're missing though is that software knows how much latency there is and compensates for this by playing sounds earlier by whatever amount of latency you have.
            Again, for most people (who watches movies, plays music and game a bit) a bit of latency in sound doesn't matter because in practice you will not notice and sound will be playing exacly in sync with video.
            It only matters when you really need precise sync with your input, such as playing a MIDI keyboard. For an FPS shooter (example), earing your gun with a little delay might be a little annoying but the fact is that you already shot and you either missed or hit.

Comment

Haaaa! I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer, and what you said is completely false. One, it does not have hardware mixing, which you would see quite easily by looking at the ALSA wiki: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...-Creative_Labs Two, while its support on Linux is quite poor, it doesn't come close to how utterly terrible their drivers are on Windows. Those cause BSODs, as well as terrible noise while recording unless set in a peculiar way.

I have been hearing good things about Xonars too, and I wish I had known sooner so that I wouldn't have bought the X-Fi...

About X-fi xtremegamer fatl1ty, this soundcard supports d3dsound and directsound so it should be provided by hardware mixing. It's enough to run DXDIAG to see if osundcard uses hardware mixing.

CA20K1 supports audio mixer...
              Last edited by Azrael5; 09 June 2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                About X-fi xtremegamer fatl1ty, this soundcard supports d3dsound and directsound so it should be provided by hardware mixing. It's enough to run DXDIAG to see if osundcard uses hardware mixing.

CA20K1 supports audio mixer...
                It does, on Windows. But not on Linux, because nobody worked on the ctxfi driver other than to get it in a basic workable state (it's based on an official Creative driver which was really terrible and nobody really wanted to figure out the details of how it worked).

Comment

It does, on Windows. But not on Linux, because nobody worked on the ctxfi driver other than to get it in a basic workable state (it's based on an official Creative driver which was really terrible and nobody really wanted to figure out the details of how it worked).
                  So this issue depends on alsa developpers... good to know. Where to get a list of sound cards where hardware mixer works on linux systems?

I've to make disappear PULSE AUDIO from my linux operating system, so I prefer to buy an older card rather than to use this piece of crap of pulse audio server.
                  Last edited by Azrael5; 09 June 2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I don't know why it always worked and currently not. Because with CA20K2 it works. Please post aplay -l without pulseaudio in .asoundrc

EDIT: I checked driver source and its very generic, means every X-Fi card gets 256 voices and 8 channels, if your module is snd_ctxfi you also get this anyway.
                    Last edited by magika; 09 June 2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Pulseaudio:

+ sound works out of the box
                      + portable
                      + open source

- latency!!! Skype worked well with ALSA. With PA it is a latency nightmare. We need a "low latency mode". PA wants to save battery, but most people use AC.

Comment

Working...
                      X