X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fritsch
    replied
    Originally posted by magika View Post
    Yea its really great. The only downside is that to use your app user has to install PA on his machine and configure it so that it wont hijack ALSA device.

Mmh. That's full wrong. We don't need PA to run. If context does not open -> ALSA is used.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    More like specific features. If you dont want degradation in quality and simply want to control volume and pass audio to HW for mixing you don't need to stack alot of audio systems on top of each other. But of course when user wants some specific feature like low-latency audio he uses Pul... I kid! Pulseaudio can't do that so user employs JACK.
    Calling a feature specific is meaningless. Every feature is specific including low latency audio and if I want Jack and install it, PulseAudio hands over control just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    But of course when user wants some specific feature like low-latency audio he uses Pul... I kid! Pulseaudio can't do that so user employs JACK.
    Do you have any data to back up that claim? I ask because I might be interested in doing some low latency audio stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    On Debian Sid ( I won't switch to Fedora any time soon 10q ) it's the default yet I can't have sound in more than one app at once, believe me a tried to follow all the guides, to no avail.
    Also none of the pavucontrol / manager apps actually registered any sound or app being used, no mpd, no Opera ( flash / html5 ), no mplayer, no sdl2 game, nothing.
    Last edited by Licaon; 06-04-2015, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    PulseAudio is good, exactly because it meets the needs of advanced users. Some people happen to do all this at once:

- play 4 sound sources (Web browser, VoIP, a game, music player) at once with different volumes
    - use a 5.1/7.1 USB headset
    - use HDMI sound or multiple devices at once
    of desktop users
    advanced would be DJs and audio engineers

you can do all that with alsa, except different volumes
    tbh if you use an music player that cant set volume, then yea, sure

Leave a comment:

• magika
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It appears that you just want to declare features you don't need as unnecessary complexity. That doesn't negate the fact that users do need them and ALSA doesn't support them out of the box if at all. Hence the requirement for PulseAudio and use of it by pretty much every major distribution.
    More like specific features. If you dont want degradation in quality and simply want to control volume and pass audio to HW for mixing you don't need to stack alot of audio systems on top of each other. But of course when user wants some specific feature like low-latency audio he uses Pul... I kid! Pulseaudio can't do that so user employs JACK.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    PulseAudio is good, exactly because it meets the needs of advanced users. Some people happen to do all this at once:

- play 4 sound sources (Web browser, VoIP, a game, music player) at once with different volumes
    - use a 5.1/7.1 USB headset
    - use HDMI sound or multiple devices at once

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    You can have different volumes with ALSA. The rest are quite specific so unnecessary complexity layer (some software like PA) is necessary there.
    It appears that you just want to declare features you don't need as unnecessary complexity. That doesn't negate the fact that users do need them and ALSA doesn't support them out of the box if at all. Hence the requirement for PulseAudio and use of it by pretty much every major distribution.

Leave a comment:

• magika
    replied
    Originally posted by fritsch View Post
    After first having implemented an Audio Engine for kodi and afterwards having added a Pulseaudio sink to our kodi software I really, really love what pulseaudio is doing. It takes away so much pain from developers. Hotplug support, Default device switching, bluetooth integration, network sink, tunnel, mixing. It has become very nice, major and stable.

To implement the same level of good working features in plain ALSA is, especially for sparetime devs, just not doable.

The comfort PA offers for endusers is just brilliant. On top you get nice, helpful devs. You join by in their irc channel and get done lots of things in no time.

Thanks to the PA devs for getting linux audio to a serious level.
    Yea its really great. The only downside is that to use your app user has to install PA on his machine and configure it so that it wont hijack ALSA device.

Leave a comment:

• fritsch
    replied
    After first having implemented an Audio Engine for kodi and afterwards having added a Pulseaudio sink to our kodi software I really, really love what pulseaudio is doing. It takes away so much pain from developers. Hotplug support, Default device switching, bluetooth integration, network sink, tunnel, mixing. It has become very nice, major and stable.

To implement the same level of good working features in plain ALSA is, especially for sparetime devs, just not doable.

The comfort PA offers for endusers is just brilliant. On top you get nice, helpful devs. You join by in their irc channel and get done lots of things in no time.

Thanks to the PA devs for getting linux audio to a serious level.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X