No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Community Council Reaffirms Its Decision Against Kubuntu's Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is since 2012 payed by Blue Systems, canonical does not pay for them anymore. The only small thing they do is allowing them to use that name and pay 10 cents for their traffic on their servers.

So its 99% not a Ubuntu Projekt, I dont really get why Canonical has any might to say them anything? Can they now also fire Linux Mint Developers?

I dont really get it, hope they leave that sinking ship.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      Kubuntu is since 2012 payed by Blue Systems, canonical does not pay for them anymore. The only small thing they do is allowing them to use that name and pay 10 cents for their traffic on their servers.

So its 99% not a Ubuntu Projekt, I dont really get why Canonical has any might to say them anything? Can they now also fire Linux Mint Developers?

Canonical removed him from the Kubuntu seat on the Ubuntu Community Council. Canonical has a community council which they operate and which is under their control and he had a seat representing Kubuntu users. Now he doesn't. That is all that has changed. This has nothing to do with who pays for Kubuntu, who runs or builds Kubuntu, etc. A Kubuntu developer was participating in an Ubuntu organization run by Canonical and they kicked him out for 1 year. That's it. He can participate all he wants with Kubuntu and the Kubuntu community. He just isn't on Canonical's Ubuntu Community Council for the next year.

Comment

so you want to pay the 10cents it costs to run kubuntu?
        and i bet the kde guys want to drop all that money they get from the ubuntu community:

if it was just the 10cent for traffic and nothing more, why in hell would the kde guys stick to kubuntu while beeing aggressiv against ubuntu an canonical since years now?

so either drop that mudslining and dirty tricks ("he is not a leader" vs. "he speaks always in behalf of the kubuntu council") or be honest and leave kubuntu. all that massive malicious agendas just will keep people demotivated work on open source stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
          seems like the Kubuntu community is fine with bullying and accusations as long as its against canonical.
          really sad to see, they dont have a problem with taking the money and other stuff canonical and the whole ubuntu community offers.

so why not be honest and leave kubuntu? all that kindergarden with aggressive behaviour against ubuntu and canonical the last years is more than enough. and that is what this all is about: the constant aggressiveness from kde devs against ubuntu and canonical. seems like this all is intended by the kubuntu community and their kubuntu council.
          Seems like you have a misunderstanding of the event of things there was no aggresive behavior and Kubuntu Project does not receive any money from Canonical Ltd.

Jonathan asked very valid and important questions that even Linux Developers upstream had asked and after years of getting now answers he asked the CC to make a statement and did have a more firm tone but at no point was it aggresive.

--
          Benjamin
          Kubuntu Member

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Funny, reading the irc logs I can clearly see him acting snarky and demanding towards the council guys. Personally I'd be much less diplomatic in my replies to him.

(just an observation from the peanut gallery, not a (k)ubuntu user)
            He was being firm and you have to understand he waited multiple years and they were not being diligent in providing any answers if anything their lack of action was rude to Jonathan and the Kubuntu Members he was representing.

Comment

Originally posted by bkerensa View Post

Seems like you have a misunderstanding of the event of things there was no aggresive behavior and Kubuntu Project does not receive any money from Canonical Ltd.

Jonathan asked very valid and important questions that even Linux Developers upstream had asked and after years of getting now answers he asked the CC to make a statement and did have a more firm tone but at no point was it aggresive.
              he demanded the CC to state that the CC follows his opinion, while they stated clearly, that the legal departments of canonical and the SFLC were still working on it.
              imho that is absolutely understandable because there is no lawyer in the CC.

even other kubuntu council members stated before that meeting that the CC is caught in the middle, but now they try to backup Jonathan while they actually backup the intentional bullying and the aggressive tone with accusations.

this whole situation is a mess. but i dont see the CC as the cause of this. this move seems to me like a last try to get the releationship between kubuntu and the rest of the ubuntu community to a normal state again because there were individuals who were poisioning the relationship on purpose. and if that is the last action that speaks a lot about what is going on. and you cant blame just the other side only and play the "innocent lamb" from the kubuntu side.

so, please get the team together, get a clue what you actually want. and if you dont want to leave kubuntu stop with all that kindergarten games against ubuntu and canonical. that will just demotivate people spending their free time for open source stuff. sometimes i think that is what the kde guys want, since ubuntu chose to stick to ubuntu with unity as the main desktop only.

kubuntu and kde individuals do get money from canonical/ubuntu. they get a lot of money from the community funds that are generated by the page asking for donations before getting to the donwloads on the ubuntu main side. its not canonical ltd.s money but canonical does all the bureaucracy and taxes for the money that people want to get to the ubuntu community. on that part, kubuntu has no issues with beeing part of the ubuntu community.

Comment

so he was rude because he repeatedly asked for legal clarification and the whereabouts of donations.

What an evil man. Such behaviour can not be tolerated.

If you are a corporation, acting shady.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
                  Jeez. Don't forget your tinfoil hat...
                  I am not a Communist. I do not seek to abolish competition, business or Corporations. But to state that substantial parts of corporate marketing and public relations are dishonest and deliberately attempt to give a false picture of a company is something understood by any grown up person. Mark Shuttleworth is not just a private rich individual choosing to spend his money how he sees fit. No he has created a very large number of people who believe they are part of a community and created the impression that these community members are stake holders in this project. Jonathan is hardly the first person who has been taken in by Canonical, who has willingly and freely supported Canonical and then become extremely angry about the way they have been treated.

But don't think I don't know your game. Its a common tactic when people on weak ground to start throwing around insults in an attempt to personalise things. Deliberately attempt to lower the debate into a slanging match in order to deflect the debate from the real issues.

I don't doubt that Mark Shuttleworth genuinely believes in what he is doing. I don't doubt for a moment that he wishes to deliver quality products to his users, customers and collaborators. And indeed under his leadership, much has been delivered that has been appreciated by many people. However he has used low underhand and deceitful tactics to get the position of dominance in the Linux Desktop. He has used people to get where he is today and now he is seeking to cynically discard them when they are no longer useful to where he wants to go, or ask awkward questions. The fragmentation of the desktop has cost us dear in our competition with Windows and Macs. So I totally understand how he sees the need for Unity under a strong leader. i can also see why many people still believe in his leadership.

However as I've stated else where Mark Shuttleworth is not the right person to dominate the Linux Desktop. His position of dominance needs to be overthrown.
                  Last edited by Rich Oliver; 29 May 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Come to Fedora. I know the KDE devs could use more help there.
                    AIUI Debian already has a vibrant KDE Dev community

Comment

Sadly, I've seen many organizations go down this road where they get so caught up in, well, weird efforts to engineer politeness that they completely forget their actual missions.

This is a black eye for Ubuntu. I just wish there was a way users could tell them to get back on track without just plain dropping their platform altogether.

Comment

Working...
                      X