No announcement yet.

Friction Building Around An Ubuntu Community Council Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so its the KDE / Kubuntu guys again going for the "most drama" approach because they cant accept the world is not spinning in the way the demand it.

After the intended drama about XMir with the ragequit of one kwin developer to pursue a no-mir-ever policy on kubuntu, this is the next step?

i saw the irc cc-meeting and was shocked by the behaviour of riddel: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19...ng.html#t17:40 . i can understand he gets frustrated because things move slow there, but that is not caused by the cc (see irclog and mailings for details).

we really need to get back to the point where its not ok to be an asshole just because its against ubuntu/canonical. we dont want that to be ok against anyone.

Comment

So basically the issue is that Canonical is abusing their power, lying that the free software they get for free ia somehow protected by their trademarks and whatnot. What a load of crap. The whole distro is a pathetic pile of NIH. Their own desktop, display server, version control system, init system, love of closed source addons, and so on. It's disgusting the most poular Linux distro is so full of non-collaborative NIH software and embraces closed source and also the political hate towards community distros (kubuntu). Don't like.

Comment

What's the first word that comes into mind in association with the word "Dictator"? My guess is that "Hitler" outruns every other word by a large margin. Hitler is not merely a dictator. He is the dictator. Don't blame me, blame Charlie Chaplin. Check the Wikipedia "Dictator" page, four pictures on the right: Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler and Julius Caesar. As for Pol Pot, I just wanted someone who had been more recently popular. Remember there was such deep respect for the Khmer Rouge with in the international community that they retained their seat at the United Nations until 1992 although they lost de-facto power in 1979.

So correct me if I'm wrong but "Dictator" with all its connotations was a term introduced by Mark Shuttleworth's devotees not his detractors. No one forced them to use that word. They have deliberately chosen to invoke a simile of extreme authoritarianism. This is an intentional and well worn psychological tactic. It is the height of hypocrisy for them to then complain about their opponent's hyperbola, when it is them that have deliberately chosen to place a hyperbola at the centre of the debate.

Anyway my point wasn't meant to be a moralistic one. I can accept that for some people, Mark Shuttlworth's vision may align with their own. I would argue though that it doesn't align with any who prioritise the Linux desktop and the desktop is being sacrificed for the phone and tablet. I also just get annoyed about the way people use the term benevolent dictator. (in my perception) people seem to use is as if it was new concept when the claim to benevolence has been inherent in the concept of dictator from its beginning. And that no one would ever have become dictator or remained so if a significant group of people hadn't experienced their rule as benevolent.
        Last edited by Rich Oliver; 27 May 2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
          so its the KDE / Kubuntu guys again going for the "most drama" approach because they cant accept the world is not spinning in the way the demand it.

After the intended drama about XMir with the ragequit of one kwin developer to pursue a no-mir-ever policy on kubuntu, this is the next step?

i saw the irc cc-meeting and was shocked by the behaviour of riddel: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19...ng.html#t17:40 . i can understand he gets frustrated because things move slow there, but that is not caused by the cc (see irclog and mailings for details).

we really need to get back to the point where its not ok to be an asshole just because its against ubuntu/canonical. we dont want that to be ok against anyone.
          So Canonical wades in and declares that the guy can't be leader, Kubuntu go WTF and this is Kubuntu starting Drama? Also when that one Kwin dev is the MAIN Kwin dev that kinda dictates what direction the software will go in. Kubuntu COULD hire someone to make a Mir backend but WHY WOULD THEY. Wayland is complete, wayland support within Kwin is almost there. Meanwhile Mir is a few releases away from being decent on the desktop and would require a lot more effort that Kubuntu can afford to do.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Did you even read, or is this an emotional outcry? Seems like the later. Please read my last post, thank you.
            I automatically dismiss any text written with a bunch of STUPID FSCKXING CAPS LOCK interspersed within it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I still say the project should be rebased on debian and then renamed.
              I just had a conversation with someone on a totally different medium about this topic and he made some damn good points. Now I'm convinced that Kubuntu should fight to hold its current position. That would be the very best thing they could do. I don't think they should rebase and I'd like to retract my previous statement.

Comment

Jonathan Riddell go away nobody in ubuntu comunity wants you, nobody in canonical, become a man and go way

Comment

Any time I hear somebody is being asked to leave "because butthurt reasons" I know I'm looking at a load of crap behind the scenes. All those bullet points and not a single technical reason was offered.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    Jonathan Riddell go away nobody in ubuntu comunity wants you, nobody in canonical, become a man and go way
                    Well, that's literally a false statement... else this wouldn't be a discussion at all.

Comment

Canonical strikes me as the sort of company that now has more lawyers than engineers. What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X