Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eidolon
    replied
    I would be very interested in a Canonical IPO.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That is interesting. A guy I know was just talking about Jolla. He seems to think it would make a great SmartTV OS.

HP sold WebOS to LG and is now in 5M smart TVs. They also have it as a possible alternative to android in a number of devices, like Samsung with Tizen.

Mobile OSs seem to fit all sorts of new smaller and IoT form factors. Is why Canonical invested quite a lot.

It could be a good idea for them to go public, as long as they keep majority share I suppose for now. Else more competitors could take the lead.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    I think this also comes because JOLLA is getting investor $ ("Sailfish Holding is already an international company in its ownership structure. In addition to Finland, it has both Russian and Chinese shareholders.") so could soon get big adoption in Russia and other countries that want an Alternative to the western monopoly/ American OSs like IOS, windows and ANDROID:

More info:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ins...hat-you-think/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/19/86...sh-jolla-tizen
    That is interesting. A guy I know was just talking about Jolla. He seems to think it would make a great SmartTV OS.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    I think this also comes because JOLLA is getting investor $ ("Sailfish Holding is already an international company in its ownership structure. In addition to Finland, it has both Russian and Chinese shareholders.") so could soon get big adoption in Russia and other countries that want an Alternative to the western monopoly/ American OSs like IOS, windows and ANDROID:

More info:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ins...hat-you-think/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/19/86...sh-jolla-tizen
    Last edited by madjr; 22 May 2015, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    I wouldn't recommend it at all. The moment you open up your company to shareholders, the company is no longer yours.

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Operating in the red is a terrible introduction, I totally agree.

It seems to me that the waters and borders could get murky really fast in regards to competitors buying Stock in Canonical - Microsoft or Apple would jump at the opportunity to buy stock in Canonical and set out to derail Ubuntu from ever being serious competition to Windows / OS X. Eventually Canonical could be snuffed out of existence much like PearOS, Nokia, etc... - I realize this isn't a direct buyout, but when people have their money comingled in your venture you become a dancing performing monkey.

Additionally, Canonical & Ubuntu are big Linux names - we all benefit when they succeed, this whole IPO thing makes me very concerned.
    why concern? if mark will maintain the majority of the company! openstack and server is already made profits. the problem is the desktop, maybe with new investiment, some from hardware companies is what canonical needs to grown. PearOS is a only guy distro who gives up and come with the story of big sell

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    The problem is a company that is losing money going public is about one of the worst ideas there is. If someone attempts it, they better have a damn good gambit that they're planning for making money to back it up.
    Operating in the red is a terrible introduction, I totally agree.

It seems to me that the waters and borders could get murky really fast in regards to competitors buying Stock in Canonical - Microsoft or Apple would jump at the opportunity to buy stock in Canonical and set out to derail Ubuntu from ever being serious competition to Windows / OS X. Eventually Canonical could be snuffed out of existence much like PearOS, Nokia, etc... - I realize this isn't a direct buyout, but when people have their money comingled in your venture you become a dancing performing monkey.

Additionally, Canonical & Ubuntu are big Linux names - we all benefit when they succeed, this whole IPO thing makes me very concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Doodzor
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    A company that has not made a profit since it's creation 10 years ago , now wants to take on what effectively amounts to uninsured micro-loans, presumably to attempt to expand their operations... Shuttleworth are you actually actively trying to destroy your own company? Is that what Mir was really all about? Because this right here is basically guaranteed to kill it. You're going to get a big IPO since you're canonical and thus a popular name, and then you're going to try to expand, and everyone is going to pull out on your already unprofitable company and then because the money is no longer there and you over extended yourself you're going to crash, and Shuttleworth won't be able to bankroll you.
    Stocks don't work how you seem to think they do. Investors don't get to just take their money back after buying stock. The worst thing unhappy investors can do is all try to sell their stock at the same time which will tank the price. But Canonical keeps all the money they made from those stock sales. They are just in a weaker position to get more money in the future from stock sales. If Shuttleworth gets enough money from IPO to finish his grand design, then unhappy investors aren't going to change that at all.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    Hmm seems I need to check Red Hat's stock prices. Never did I believe, but why not buy Canonical if there's money to make...
    Something alike Apple 1000% plus is welcome :-)

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    We also need Canonical. I am not an Ubuntu user, but they are the only ones with a remote shot at making Linux on the desktop matter. Even if you believe Ubuntu is the worst distro, it is still better than Windows having 90% of the market. If we could just break 10% it would change a lot.
    I do sort of agree with you. IMO I don't like Canonical as a company, but even I admit that Ubuntu has been good for linux in the fact that it draws a userbase. So for that matter I hope this IPO works out well. It would be a terrible loss if linux as a whole lost Ubuntu's userbase.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X