No announcement yet.

Canonical Is Reportedly Considering An IPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't recommend it at all. The moment you open up your company to shareholders, the company is no longer yours.

Comment

I think this also comes because JOLLA is getting investor $ ("Sailfish Holding is already an international company in its ownership structure. In addition to Finland, it has both Russian and Chinese shareholders.") so could soon get big adoption in Russia and other countries that want an Alternative to the western monopoly/ American OSs like IOS, windows and ANDROID:

More info:
      http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ins...hat-you-think/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/19/86...sh-jolla-tizen
      Last edited by madjr; 22 May 2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        I think this also comes because JOLLA is getting investor $ ("Sailfish Holding is already an international company in its ownership structure. In addition to Finland, it has both Russian and Chinese shareholders.") so could soon get big adoption in Russia and other countries that want an Alternative to the western monopoly/ American OSs like IOS, windows and ANDROID:

More info:
        http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ins...hat-you-think/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/19/86...sh-jolla-tizen
        That is interesting. A guy I know was just talking about Jolla. He seems to think it would make a great SmartTV OS.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That is interesting. A guy I know was just talking about Jolla. He seems to think it would make a great SmartTV OS.

HP sold WebOS to LG and is now in 5M smart TVs. They also have it as a possible alternative to android in a number of devices, like Samsung with Tizen.

Mobile OSs seem to fit all sorts of new smaller and IoT form factors. Is why Canonical invested quite a lot.

It could be a good idea for them to go public, as long as they keep majority share I suppose for now. Else more competitors could take the lead.

Comment

I would be very interested in a Canonical IPO.

Comment

If Mark Shuttleworth opens up the company, how long will he remain "benevolent dictator for life" as he butts heads with the board?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                don't go full redhat

I WISH they were as open source friendly as rh.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  I WISH they were as open source friendly as rh.

like that ?

Comment

Damn forum won't let me quote now....

Anyway, I agree, it's not a linux distro's job to support everything. It's their job to make what they distribute work. I don't agree with a lot of RHs choices in the software they develop, but they are putting real money and resources to do it. And that is a good thing.

Systemd, PulseAudio, dbus, etc may fail and end up being a total waste of effort, but at least RH is putting effort somewhere. The thing is that RH does a lot of good for OSS. They do contribute resources to good projects. They aren't a bad company. A lot of what they develop is a total waste of effort, but alot of other things they develop is really good.

Where-as the only things Canonical develops is for themselves. As such everything they develop is a total waste of effort. All in all Redhat is better for OSS than Canonical.
                    Last edited by duby229; 23 May 2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Exactly what does that have to do with what I said?
                      I'm not aware of a single red hat product that isn't open source.
                      That's part of the company's ethos that you simply don't seem to understand.

Comment

Working...
                      X