The Heated KDBUS Debate For The Linux Kernel Has Fizzled Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

i'm guessing you didn't understand or didn't read the rest. this is complete opposite from being hack and makes total sense.

Havoc is not saying that dbus is a hack, he says design and goal were different from COM and Binder (which he was asked about in comparison to dbus) for various reasons. mainly flexibility. and if you ever coded with COM, Binder and dbus you'd see why dbus is so much better to use in code
    First: There is no _formal_ API spec of dbus, it is merely ad-hoc
    Here is a link: http://gentooexperimental.org/~patri...s/2014-11.html
    Second: As there are better IPCs available (at a cost) why implement the bloated dbus?
    It is a crappy piece of software, unfortunately I had to dig into it, and its's awful. (and systemd id dbus-based)

Comment

Originally posted by phrx_reader View Post

First: There is no _formal_ API spec of dbus, it is merely ad-hoc
      Here is a link: http://gentooexperimental.org/~patri...s/2014-11.html
      Second: As there are better IPCs available (at a cost) why implement the bloated dbus?
      It is a crappy piece of software, unfortunately I had to dig into it, and its's awful. (and systemd id dbus-based)

better IPCs? name one. in my coding time i used quite a lot of various IPCs and i'm yet to find one as good to use in my software

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
        Someone with the right knowledge should step up with a design for a general-purpose kernel IPC mechanism, like DBUS but taking all the feedback into account.
        it is already done. it is called kdbus

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          dbus is for passing msgs between desktop applications (OO primarily), and for that it works now
          transferring bulk data or something in real time requires a specialized IPC protocol, always has, always will
          kdbus is that specialized ipc protocol

Comment

too bad you cant lobby Linus
            of course you can. just ship something with android and linus will accept it based on number of users

Comment

Originally posted by phrx_reader View Post
              because nobody uses your fucking imaginary better ipcs and everyone uses dbus

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                Why am I not surprised that the guy is pushing KDBUS now.

And systemd fanboys still claim that Red Hat has no hidden agenda...

What's their hidden agenda?
                Conspiracy theories are interesting.

Comment

then again all of what they want can be done by fixing up the dbus daemon
                  moron, it cannot be fixed in dbus daemon, until you produced fixed daemon

Comment

so has anyone read the discussion?

Because it is pretty clear that kdbus is dead.

It is too complex and inherently broken. Worse: it is really not needed at all.

This doesn't look like it is going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      because nobody uses your fucking imaginary better ipcs and everyone uses dbus
                      Pretty much, yeah. Like I said in my previous post - dbus is *already* the defacto standard IPC on Linux, because that's what 99% of the IPC-using software on Linux uses. There's no value in creating hypothetical better systems, unless someone is prepared to do the work to implement them, and to migrate hundreds or thousands of packages to use the new system. A "better" system that nobody uses doesn't really count as "better" in my book...

Comment

Working...
                      X