Steam Linux Usage Drops Below 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    Steam is developed for 32-bit Ubuntu, but Ubuntu only supports UEFI on 64 bits. Just getting Steam to run on 64-bit Ubuntu is frustrating, and when you just resolved all the library conflicts, your work gets undone by the next Steam update.
    Strange, I'm using Ubuntu 64-bit and Steam has just worked as expected for the last two years. I'm not sure why you're having problems.

Comment

Why would any game developer target this platform?

And SteamOS is a complete flop so don't hang your prayers on that dud.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Why would any game developer target this platform?

And SteamOS is a complete flop so don't hang your prayers on that dud.
        Why would they target the Xbox One? Same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Why would they target the Xbox One? Same thing.
          You don't know why game developers target Xbox One?

Comment

Just because Linux lost a bit of its percentage of total users, it doesn't necessarily mean less people are using Linux with Steam. It may simply be that Windows users increased at a greater rate.

Comment

I read this as Windows +0.32%, OSX -0.23% and Linux -0.11%.

It is obvious what happened, but it is not clear if OSX and Linux go up in usage, that is also quite possibile and probably is but not like Windows when it cames to percentage in whole.

Windows 95.81%, blah that is boring like Sadam Husein election

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Not also sure if those numbers means that steam usage generally dropped by 0.02%

Those users either stopped playing or go to consoles

Comment

@ johnc Official X.org Fanboy

why don't you go playing with your Mac as I've said before.

Well I've Metro Last Light on Steam/Linux but currently play Tomb Raider 2013 with Playonlinux. So maybe that's me...sorry. Those numbers are so low, phoronix should not bother to mention them anymore before we get steamboxes.
                  Last edited by mike4; 05 May 2015, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is obvious what happened, but it is not clear if OSX and Linux go up in usage, that is also quite possibile and probably is but not like Windows when it cames to percentage in whole.

Windows 95.81%, blah that is boring like Sadam Husein election
                    It's actually pretty clear if you follow games. Grand Theft Auto V released on PC on Apr 15th, on Windows only and Steam has been pushing to record high user activity since then.

It reached 9M on Mar 16, and last weekend was 9.5M. I am not even sure if that's the highest count since that's 3 weeks after GTAV release. Assume these are mostly Windows users attracted by GTAV, the percentage drop makes perfect sense. No one is losing any users.

Comment

Steam for Linux usage could be below 1% or it could be above 1%. Given the nature of the survey, it's hard to say. These figures are sometimes adjusted as well. Case in point, the statistics for December 2014 originally had Linux at 1.16% (at least until January 24), and that was later adjusted to 1.10% (somewhere around January 29).

While I keep an eye on the numbers, I am completely indifferent if Steam for Linux's market share fluctuates slightly from month to month. After the 2015 holiday season is over, depending on what the statistics are like for January 2016, and how Valve evolves its approach in accordance (such as creating a specific reference design for manufacturers, or partnering to build its own platform, or incentivizing developers to target SteamOS, etc), then it would be a more apropos time to scrutinize the long-term viability of Steam Machines. I personally believe that Valve has to restructure its approach, if they decide Steam Machines are something worth pursuing in the long run. Valve started down this path because it was deemed to be of use, but Steam Machines might not be the best way for Valve to accomplish its objectives (that does not mean Valve would abandon Linux). I do think if Valve sticks with it, Steam Machines can make modest gains, but short of some major changes, I don't think they will truly take off.

For Steam Machines sales to be substantial, Valve has to mobilize consumers to embrace this venture; either Windows PC gamers, console gamers, or a fair share of both; likely minus the casual gamers, as they aren't a great target for this. Existing Linux gamers will not be enough to make Steam Machines successful to the extent they need to be. Unless Windows 10 fails to meet the expectations of Windows users, I can't see a solid reason why there would be a grand exodus from Windows, or even a surge of people buying first gen Steam Machines to compliment their Windows PCs, though some enthusiasts obviously will. And, if they had to choose, would Valve prefer that Steam customers keep their existing PCs (if adequate to the task) and spend their money on new games on Steam, or spend their money on new systems, and perhaps not have the funds for as many, or any, new games for a while? First and foremost, Valve's baby is Steam. As for console gamers, I don't see Steam Machines in their current form as being replacements for what consoles provide. The question that remains is if a large number of console gamers are in the market for SFF PCs to compliment their consoles.

I do expect some of the more manic gaming "press" to provide Valve with free (or not) marketing, so Steam Machines won't go unsold for lack of brand awareness.

Comment

Working...
                      X