Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono 4.0 Makes Use Of Microsoft's Open-Source Code, C# 6.0

Phoronix: Mono 4.0 Makes Use Of Microsoft's Open-Source Code, C# 6.0

Mono 4.0.0 was finally released this week and comes at a time where Microsoft has been open-sourcing large parts of their .NET stack and natively bringing these components to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-4.0-Released

Outdated packages

Too bad the Mono packages are heavily outdated on Debian and Ubuntu.

The .NET Framework is a great piece of technology.

Comment

Is Mono still needed? I mean installing Microsoft Visual Studio Code should bring all .NET stuff? Haven't yet looked at it...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Is Mono still needed? I mean installing Microsoft Visual Studio Code should bring all .NET stuff? Haven't yet looked at it...
        Since there's no good cross-platform GUI toolkit for C#, they didn't write VSC in C#.
        VSC is just an editor built on web technologies: Atom's Electron Shell, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yes, what is up with that? I have to install mono manually nowadays to have something not prehistoric.

Comment

This is a reminder that Microsoft keeps making money off Linux (Android, a big part of their revenue), by extorting manufacturers and smartphone vendors.
            You just can't trust them, it was not possible in the past and still isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Mono 4.0 Makes Use Of Microsoft's Open-Source Code, C# 6.0

Mono 4.0.0 was finally released this week and comes at a time where Microsoft has been open-sourcing large parts of their .NET stack and natively bringing these components to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-4.0-Released
              Ccomponents?

Comment

Mono project provides an apt repository with all the latest mono packages (http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...nd-derivatives). Works like charm for me.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
                  Yes, what is up with that? I have to install mono manually nowadays to have something not prehistoric.
                  Does this help with Wine at all in compatibility?

Comment

???

you simple go to mono website and add the repo for debian/ubuntu, or fedora or opensuse

Comment

Working...
                    X