Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Microsoft Visual Studio Code On Linux

Phoronix: Trying Out Microsoft Visual Studio Code On Linux

Following the big news just now that Microsoft released their new Visual Studio IDE for Linux, I downloaded it and tried out on Fedora 21...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft releases rather poor looking .NET based port of their application which does absolutely zero more than editors we already have on Linux (yeah, even including that awesome Mono editor), gets free press and praise from some naive members of community - KA CHING!

Seems they are just using same old tricks, dressed differently. Color me surprised. NOT.

Comment

There also doesn't seem to be any major compelling features why one should favor the Visual Studio Code software over various open-source alternatives like Qt Creator, Eclipse, GNOME Builder, and the many others out there...
      You missed the juggernaut of the Linux/Mac/Win friendly super IDEs: JetBrains. I guess JetBrains may not be open source, but it's what most dev want. The free version is very full featured.

Comment

Please don't use M$ products if there any alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace...and_extinguish
          Exactly what I was thinking. Historically with Microsoft, this is always how it starts...

Comment

Thanx for the link it was very informative. I've been trying to get everyone I know to use FOSS for years, now I have even more info to let them see the light so again Thank You!!

Comment

Yeah, that's the only motive they could possibly have as far as I can see. They already dominate IM with Skype, which happened through exactly this strategy...

But there has to be another reason for this, normally when M$ use this strategy it's to force software onto their Windows platform and off other platforms, this is a very sudden change of attitude, EEE or not; what could they possibly be hoping to achieve from all this in the long term? I mean they're technically not providing us with anything we don't already have... I mean, I wouldn't trust their LLVM based cross platform compiler unless they paid me for it, why are they bothering?

(or maybe that's the plan? creating a compiler that has shitty support for compiling Linux and Mac applications to make it easier for developers to develop cross platform applications on windows without testing on the other platforms, and then compromising the quality of the ports to platforms that aren't windows? but that's just too obvious if that's what they're doing here...)
              Last edited by rabcor; 29 April 2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                You missed the juggernaut of the Linux/Mac/Win friendly super IDEs: JetBrains. I guess JetBrains may not be open source, but it's what most dev want. The free version is very full featured.
                Actually, IDEA IS open source. Released under Apache 2. (At least the platform & community edition).

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  Yeah, that's the only motive they could possibly have as far as I can see. They already dominate IM with Skype, which happened through exactly this strategy...

But there has to be another reason for this, normally when M$ use this strategy it's to force software onto their Windows platform and off other platforms, this is a very sudden change of attitude, EEE or not; what could they possibly be hoping to achieve from all this in the long term? I mean they're technically not providing us with anything we don't already have... I mean, I wouldn't trust their LLVM based cross platform compiler unless they paid me for it, why are they bothering?

(or maybe that's the plan? creating a compiler that has shitty support for compiling Linux and Mac applications to make it easier for developers to develop cross platform applications on windows without testing on the other platforms, and then compromising the quality of the ports to platforms that aren't windows? but that's just too obvious if that's what they're doing here...)
                  Linux kernel based Windows? Nah!?

MS just figures they can get customers that currently use Linux to develop on their software. Which in turn gives them the possibility to influence them. If MS can make a person happy with their one product, then that person would be easier to convince to use other products. Maybe by force or maybe by will.

Comment

It's Just Atom

This editor is based off of GitHub's Atom, and it's Linux support is just as terrible.
                    Why do all these Node.JS/Chrom(e/ium) app container applications have to suck so badly?

Comment

Working...
                    X