No announcement yet.

Microsoft's Open-Source Group Merges Back Into The Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> > with Microsoft itself as the company continues to embrace open-source...

> Let me guess, the next step is to extend.

History!

1. Embrace <-- you are here
    2. Extend
    3. Extinguish

Comment

About other present actions from Microsoft:

1. Stop blocking open file/document formats and start actively working towards interoperability. People have to be able to use any tool of their choice on THEIR data.
      2. Stop astroturfing EVERY tech forum in existence. I want to be able to discuss Linux and other OSs/software, etc. without harassment from MS damage control drones.
      3. Lose the control-freak attitude towards competitors. Don't try to patent-bomb/bleed/cross-license them out of existence.
      4. Don't buy/bribe/pay government customers to keep them locked in. People have a right to use free and open tools on documents written on their taxpayer dollars.
      5. Stop manipulating hardware manufacturers. Locked/broken bootloaders, closed drivers, etc. are dirty ways to compete.

There's a lot more, but the point is made. Until people see some fundamental changes to the way MS does business... people will have to keep thinking that this current cosying up to the community is cynically motivated and dangerous.

-- Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Uramekus
        when i told ya that i prefer BSD over GPL?
        because i don't. it depends, sometimes i even use WTFPL.
        even GNU agree with that (https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/licen...ml#ModifiedBSD)
        GPL is about code freedom, and BSD is about user freedom, the freedom to close the code is important too.(everyone has different conceptions of freedom, some can valorize the individual freedom, some valorize freedom in things, thats what i see)
        and huh, there is plenty of BSD licenses, and BSD is free software.

and dimko, where is BSD today? everywhere. Clang, LLVM, lot of system servers including Whatsapp, Yahoo, Outlook, and a lot of other projects.
        all of them have BSD-ish licenses.
        Way I see it, people might as well just release shit to public domain instead of bothering with the BSD license, I mean when shitheads like Apple can just walk up and steal (as in legally take) your work and make millions off it without you being able to do a thing about it, might as well be public domain, which coincidentally is exactly what I do with everything I release and don't really give a damn about. Small things, lieke calculators, or ugly artworks. Not entire kernels.
        Last edited by rabcor; 19 April 2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
          Some people simply can not be satisfied. Microsoft is evil because they do closed source software, and Microsoft is also not allowed around open source stuff. Hypocrisy is strong with some people.
          Wrong, the empire cannot be satisfied.

The force is not strong with you.

Comment

Down the river drifts an axe...

Down the river drifts an axe
            From the town of Byron.
            Let it float by itself-
            Fucking piece of iron!
            I bet that was written about MS and their "open source". Seriously, it's so interesting to hear about "openness" from company who actually put so much efforts to _LOCK DOWN_ PCs hardware and boot loaders with "secure" boot, definitely demanded "boot guard" shit and so on, enforcing obedience and "trust" in their usual fascist style attitde. What a bunch of double-standard bitches, who smiles you in the face and then stabs you in your back.

Those who want fair collaboration and adequate treatment should really stay miles away from MS and everything they do with their filthy hands.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Way I see it, people might as well just release shit to public domain instead of bothering with the BSD license, I mean when shitheads like Apple can just walk up and steal (as in legally take) your work and make millions off it without you being able to do a thing about it, might as well be public domain, which coincidentally is exactly what I do with everything I release and don't really give a damn about. Small things, lieke calculators, or ugly artworks. Not entire kernels.
              Some countries have no concept of public domain, even if you expressly release it as such. This is why CC0 exists, since it is an express legal contract that could be argued in court. This gives protection to the users of you code. BSD is the same type of thing but for code.

BSD realizes has the inherent belief, "It is better that something well crafted be used under whatever circumstances, than for it not to be used due to a license."

I am much happier with the OS X kernel thanks to its design than if Apple had rolled their own. Their previous OS was little more than a hack that lasted way to long. I would be even happier if they moved to the seL4 kernel, for security reasons, but that is just wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                1. Stop blocking open file/document formats and start actively working towards interoperability.
                Seriously. These MS faggots do not support VP8/9 video in browser mumbling it is "not standard", and only bothered self to support WebGL as of IE11, ignoring it for few years. Now we can clearly see who is sabotaging progress and always trying to make some patent-encumbered shit a "standard". If some morons haven't got it: it makes very little sense to make "standard" if it is patent encumbered. In fact it is fundamentally wrong and undermines whole idea of standards, turning standard into some weird tool to squeeze some extra bucks. The only thing it achieves in long term is that everyone would start to ignore such standards and it corrupts authorities behind standards. IMHO such company just does not deserves its place in ecosystem, this is cancer-like activity.

People have to be able to use any tool of their choice on THEIR data.
                As you can easily guess, MS isn't interested in that. They always trying to lock you on their products and OSes.

2. Stop astroturfing EVERY tech forum in existence. I want to be able to discuss Linux and other OSs/software, etc. without harassment from MS damage control drones.
                Well, they are long known for get-the-facts like strategies. Yet, any person with working brain can recognize treachery and double standards coming from MS. Probably it explains why MS got only most useless drones on their side and starts to sink as technological company. No people with working brain would side with bunch of treacherous evildoing liars.

And if MS haven't got it; big brains want to be paid for their jobs, sure. Yet, money aren't the ultimate goal of this activity and are only tools to achieve some different goals.

3. Lose the control-freak attitude towards competitors. Don't try to patent-bomb/bleed/cross-license them out of existence.
                I'm personally hate MS because they destroyed Nokia. And their nice UI/UX traditions. Now Nokia is not even allowed to manufacture phones at all. And we all have to thank MS Stephen Elop for fucking Nokia up. That guy should burn in hell. He both destroyed talented teams and then winshit phone still miserably failed. The only fate they deserve is to burn in hell on slow fire. And actually, if we take a look, nearly everyone who partnered with MS ended [like mentioned here]

So MS and their drones are just a bunch of fucking liars who smiles in the face but then backstabs at very first opportunity. And everyone who failed to notice that is stupid, to say the least. And if MS thinks we failed to notice their filthy techniques: wrong, we've spotted all this crap!

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Define play nice. Also, they'd better get Vulkan public bloody fast if they want any compatibility with dx12 to happen except by accident
                  HLSL/DirectX Bytcode -> SPIR-V compiler would be one thing. No more need for rewriting shaders or ToGL Wrappers.

Comment

The day Microsoft fully open sources Windows is the day I paint my arse blue and run down the street naked !

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      The day Microsoft fully open sources Windows is the day I paint my arse blue and run down the street naked !
                      Well... http://www.wired.com/2015/04/microso...tely-possible/

I guess I'll have to remember to hold you to that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X