Microsoft's Open-Source Group Merges Back Into The Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    Now we can clearly see who is sabotaging progress and always trying to make some patent-encumbered shit a "standard".
    You mean Apple?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Well... http://www.wired.com/2015/04/microso...tely-possible/

I guess I'll have to remember to hold you to that one.
      Don't be cheeky !

Ba Dum Tsh

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
        Now Nokia is not even allowed to manufacture phones at all. And we all have to thank MS Stephen Elop for fucking Nokia up.
        That contract ends this year. January 1, 2016 Nokia will be able to sell phones again if they so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          That contract ends this year. January 1, 2016 Nokia will be able to sell phones again if they so desire.
          I'm not sure there is a Nokia left to do that. The brand went down the toiled and most of the competent employees left of their own accord or were sacked

Comment

To be brutally honest I suspect the idea of selling Nokia phones was formed years back before Elop back when Nokia segregated its assets into Nokia phones and Nokia networks

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Way I see it, people might as well just release shit to public domain instead of bothering with the BSD license, I mean when shitheads like Apple can just walk up and steal (as in legally take) your work and make millions off it without you being able to do a thing about it, might as well be public domain, which coincidentally is exactly what I do with everything I release and don't really give a damn about. Small things, lieke calculators, or ugly artworks. Not entire kernels.
              Or X11 or LLVM or Apache?
              Besides, when a company finds a cheaper way of doing stuff, yes it increases its profits but it also increases the quality or decreases the price of its products (basics maths and economic models. The company will increase its profit more if part of the reduced cost goes into better/cheaper products than if you allocate it only on profits).

So whenever a company uses BSD code, everybody wins (at least the shareholders and the customers, which, if you consider products from software giants, form a very large portion of the world population).
              That's the reason why many programmers don't have a problem with companies using their code.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                End of story.
                I don't want microsoft around Linux kernel or smth.
                You better uninstall your kernel, it is already tainted by Microsoft's code.

Comment

microsoft has turned a new leaf! For real this time!

Oh yes I'm so sure microsoft wants to suddenly wants to embrace open-source so bad..
                  As much as satan wants to embrace love and peace..

The only reason they would be trying to make a shift like this is because they are slowly seeing that windows isn't quite as relevant as it was back in its hayday, back before linux really matured.. microsoft wouldn't be making any shift towards more open-source stuff unless they felt like they had to..

But they are still going to try to grapple to stay relevant at all costs.. And those costs can be significant unfortunately.. "secure"-boot is just one of them.. If more and more people are starting to migrate towards linuxes, make their hardware force their choice, and can only boot windows and nothing else.. If OSX was made for normal PCs instead of mac hardware, you would bet apple would be suing the hell out of microsoft if "secure"-boot didn't allow OSX to boot..

Also, I don't understand how there are some people that still trust microsoft.. Every time some news comes out about microsoft, you have a few people that actually trust microsoft this time and ignore all of microsoft's history.. Why??? Are they shills?.. I can't believe some one would actually believe that microsoft corporation and all of their shareholders are suddenly like "You know what? We were wrong all this time, let's try to embrace open-source and make every thing free and libre!"

In reality, microsoft is like a wrecking-ball.. If they are coming towards you, they are going to cause damage, even if they are saying "Don't worry! We are coming to make things better!"
                  You can bet that if they do any thing with open-source or official standards, it will be to inject poison in to them, but at the same time claiming it is wonderful and benefits every one..

Unfortunately even if microsoft is slowly becoming increasingly irrelevant, it will still take them a long time to die because they have so much tons of money..

Comment

So, when will their crippled MS office for OS X support OpenDocument? It's annoying to hear from people who use OS X in corporate environments that they can't open ODT files. And proposing them to install LibreOffice doesn't always work.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      The day Microsoft fully open sources Windows is the day I paint my arse blue and run down the street naked !
                      You see, MS can release source. In fact Win2000 and partial XP source are leaked long time ago. Yet, it's all about terms. What is the point of having source if you can't benefit from it on fair terms? As you can imagine, MS got very specific view of "fairness" where YOU only have right to pay them and do some unpaid jobs for them. But you'll have hard time if you'll want to get some benefit from your efforts.

So I'm afraid you'll have to both paint your butt blue and run down the street while being unable to benefit from that source. That's what I call double-fault exception for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X