X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Everyone have always been welcome to the open source community.

As was written in "The Hacker's Manifesto" published in January 8, 1986 in Phrack ezine.

"We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias..."

As well as the book Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace by Lawrence Lessig and published in 1999. Where it states <i>code is law</i>.

It doesn't matter what your religion is, your skin color, your gender, sex, creed, sexuality or whatever. It doesn't matter if you're fat or bald, or if you have a beard longer than Gandalf. Not even your age. Which is why you had Aaron Swartz co-author RSS as a 12-year-old kid.
    You have assholes like Linus Torvalds and Theo de Raadt leading projects. You have people with cerebral palsy like Eric S. Raymond.
    Because none of that stuff matters. The only thing that matters is the code you contribute.
    While I believe this is the *ideal* of open source, I do sadly not think it is the full truth.
    "Not accepting" someone is not a binary choice between "Fuck off, you're a girl!" or "Everyone is welcome". It might as well be a culture and social climate that makes you feel unwelcome.
    I guess everyone can think of a situation when you have wanted to be part of some community or group of people, and not really felt like you belonged.
    And probably in none of those cases this was stated out loud, but was rather some vague feeling you had of not fitting in and not being held to the same standards as everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• pininety
    replied
    Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
    Did you happen to notice that now Hillary is running or going to run. This kind of shit is everywhere... So if you don't like Hillary you hate women,,,, just like if you don't like Obama you hate black people.. It's all propaganda and does not belong in any development community. These SJW's (social justice warriors) are just control freaks on power trips. We can't let them frame the debate and take over. http://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rig...rvey-in-india/ pay close attention to where the money comes from with these programs...
    First of all, I could not care less who is the president of the US. I am a German, I always get the short stick in any US election.
    Second of all, I am not noticing this now, we have Mrs. Merkel for quite some years now and the discussions are very similar.
    I also already know a voice for men (big thanks to "girl writes what" for that ^^) but still thank you for giving the link for other people who might not know it.

Leave a comment:

• toyotabedzrock
    replied
    It is common for patches to be rejected and have to be rewritten multiple times because they are not of good enough quality, have not been thoroughly independently tested and reviewed or does not adhere to coding standards.

Submitting patches to the kernel can be frustrating because it is normal for patches to get rejected multiple times before they get accepted.

Now if anyone rejects these patches, there will be cries of sexism. So the maintainers will be forced to accept patches of substandard quality which can reduce the quality of the Linux kernel in order to avoid the backlash of social justice warriors throwing wild accusations of sexism.
    I don't think any of the blog editors could understand who is who in the kernel mailing list. So yeah

Leave a comment:

• toyotabedzrock
    replied
    I do hope we see more unique contributions from women and not just cleaning up code written by men. I think they are capable of more.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by niner View Post
    So you should have an easy time of producing at least one concrete example of anyone crying "sexism!" in response to a negative review on the LKML. There are plenty of women contributing. Only a part of them through Outreachy which has been around for years already. So go on. One example please!

And if you cannot even do that, maybe you should take a step back and reconsider your own preconceptions.
    I did not refer to LKML in particular.
    I don't have any such example from LKML, perhaps there is none.
    But in general that is how it is.
    I guess LKML luckily doesn't have much social justice warriors. LKML is generally congregated by gifted people who are above average intelligence.

Leave a comment:

• niner
    replied
    Just look around you. You cannot deny that social justice warriors take every opportunity to throw wild unfounded accusations of sexism, nazism, homophobia around anyone with different views or even to just further their political or personal agenda through character assassination.
    So you should have an easy time of producing at least one concrete example of anyone crying "sexism!" in response to a negative review on the LKML. There are plenty of women contributing. Only a part of them through Outreachy which has been around for years already. So go on. One example please!

And if you cannot even do that, maybe you should take a step back and reconsider your own preconceptions.

Leave a comment:

• staggerlee
    replied
    Originally posted by pininety View Post
    The problem is, he is right.
    And I am not saying that the outreach program produced bad code.
    What I am saying is that if any of these patches is rejected, there will be someone creating click bait with "Sexist kernel developers do not merge patch from the outreachy program" .
    And a lot of people will jump on it not knowing anything about submitting kernel patches at all.

This has nothing to do with women feel welcome but with politics being pushed into a debate, which is in my eyes always a bad idea but what do I know.

So right now, I really hope this does not happen, that the patches are merged if they are good, that they are rejected if not and that no newspage covers it.
    Unfortunately, this is not the case as we already have this click bait article in the first place so I fear the worst.
    Did you happen to notice that now Hillary is running or going to run. This kind of shit is everywhere... So if you don't like Hillary you hate women,,,, just like if you don't like Obama you hate black people.. It's all propaganda and does not belong in any development community. These SJW's (social justice warriors) are just control freaks on power trips. We can't let them frame the debate and take over. http://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rig...rvey-in-india/ pay close attention to where the money comes from with these programs...

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    I would advise to take a step back and ponder a bit on that comment. Do you feel you are making people feel welcome in the open source community?
    Everyone have always been welcome to the open source community.

As was written in "The Hacker's Manifesto" published in January 8, 1986 in Phrack ezine.

"We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias..."

As well as the book Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace by Lawrence Lessig and published in 1999. Where it states <i>code is law</i>.

It doesn't matter what your religion is, your skin color, your gender, sex, creed, sexuality or whatever. It doesn't matter if you're fat or bald, or if you have a beard longer than Gandalf. Not even your age. Which is why you had Aaron Swartz co-author RSS as a 12-year-old kid.
    You have assholes like Linus Torvalds and Theo de Raadt leading projects. You have people with cerebral palsy like Eric S. Raymond.
    Because none of that stuff matters. The only thing that matters is the code you contribute.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Source?
    Just look around you. You cannot deny that social justice warriors take every opportunity to throw wild unfounded accusations of sexism, nazism, homophobia around anyone with different views or even to just further their political or personal agenda through character assassination.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Now if anyone rejects these patches, there will be cries of sexism. So the maintainers will be forced to accept patches of substandard quality which can reduce the quality of the Linux kernel in order to avoid the backlash of social justice warriors throwing wild accusations of sexism.
    Honestly I think you're wrong, not because of any "Oh it won't happen", but because of "It doesn't matter." People already believe / say that the kernel list is a hostile place verging on the League community. So if the patches get accepted then no biggie, and if the patches get rejected then its just status quo. I'm sure that there are plenty of women who already submit patches to the kernel community, maybe not as many as there could be but some nonetheless, so the cries of "sexism!" can be easily defeated by just pointing at the existing contributors and going "Explain why we let her in then?"

Leave a comment:

• pininety
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    I would advise to take a step back and ponder a bit on that comment. Do you feel you are making people feel welcome in the open source community?
    The problem is, he is right.
    And I am not saying that the outreach program produced bad code.
    What I am saying is that if any of these patches is rejected, there will be someone creating click bait with "Sexist kernel developers do not merge patch from the outreachy program" .
    And a lot of people will jump on it not knowing anything about submitting kernel patches at all.

This has nothing to do with women feel welcome but with politics being pushed into a debate, which is in my eyes always a bad idea but what do I know.

So right now, I really hope this does not happen, that the patches are merged if they are good, that they are rejected if not and that no newspage covers it.
    Unfortunately, this is not the case as we already have this click bait article in the first place so I fear the worst.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X