Allwinner Caught Obfuscating Their Improperly Licensed Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
    This is one of the benefits espoused by open source proponents, that open source code is higher quality because it is out in the open.

So, just picture it, the majority of the shipped code in your devices is bad enough they don't want you to see it.
    And then there are the free software advocates (like RMS) who say that software should be free because it empowers users to take matters into their own hands and not depend on the vendor.

Comment

I'd LOVE to see this happen

Originally posted by blubbaer View Post
      If you see no success in suing Allwinner directly then there are better chances in suing their customers. I mean the tablet/smartphone/board manufacturers who are using Allwinner Chips with the driver from Allwinner.
      Because they are selling in the western countries, they have to respect import laws. So if it's possible to create a import ban because someone is using software patents without permission, it should also be possible if someone breaks software licenses with the driver.
      This way you have to prove that the manufacturers are using Allwinner driver code. If one manufacturer gets sued, all other will think twice if they will again use technology from Allwinner.

I hope you understand what I want to say.
      Dealing with this kind of code thief is rather like going after a puppy-killing vivisectionist. Going after customers gets results. Fight them with no mercy, no quarter asked and none given because that's what corporations understand. Very few banks will open an account for a company called Huntingdon Life Sciences due to protests at executive's homes, etc. Same here: one big, expensive lawsuit against one well-chosen Allwinner customer will drive away the rest of their customers and enough of this could sink them outright. This is even easier than dumping HLS, all they have to do is release the source under the GLP (like those routers...) and we'll go away!

Comment

Working...
      X