Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
    Well I must admit Touch?!

However, I still find both movements ridiculous and extremely sexist. The job market -must- be a meritocracy between vocational people for the good of the industry as a whole (product, employee, employer, client,...).

If we start pushing people who are only in it for the money instead of self-interest, we're doing a disservice explictly to:

a) The group the program is supposedly trying to help, painting them as less worthy workers and weak victims.
    b) The project that starts the program, since developers who believe they're being treated unequally will be more inclined to leave and users who share the feeling will drop their support.

Most of the women I know in the industry are brilliant engineers and to those I've brought the subject up as discretely as possible they all exclaim a variation of "UUUUGGGHHHH" as soon as they pick up on what I'm talking about, a few starting a straight-up rant on how hypocritical these programs are.
    That would be because the women in the industry you know are geeks, those pushing such programs are feminists who want nothing more than to control women.

Comment

Fedora should focus on other discrimination

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      That would be because the women in the industry you know are geeks, those pushing such programs are feminists who want nothing more than to control women.
      More like why KDE is always second class and why there has to this constant GNOME only mentality.

We have enough GNOME distributions already.

Comment

Countries like Norway have shown that purely establishing equality and meritocracy does not automatically lead to more gender diversity in occupations (it does the opposite, apparently). So if we want more women in FOSS, we have to actively recruit them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Countries like Norway have shown that purely establishing equality and meritocracy does not automatically lead to more gender diversity in occupations (it does the opposite, apparently). So if we want more women in FOSS, we have to actively recruit them.
          Where are you getting this from? I've never heard this before.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            Where are you getting this from? I've never heard this before.
            There was a documentary done in Norway (ignore the inflamatory title it's the first mirror of the documentary I could find)

Comment

Here's a version without weird title or unrelated intro text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                More like why KDE is always second class and why there has to this constant GNOME only mentality.

We have enough GNOME distributions already.
                Yea, for real, it would be awesome if they had a person responsible for talking with the GNOME, KDE, LXQt etc. communities in order to solve integration issues, like the GNOME CSD and file pickers. Such a person could possibly spearhead some new FreeDesktop standards, too.

Comment

I feel diversity programs are sexist and that people who identify with such ideologies are poisonous to communities.
                  They stir up things, cause drama, and have no problem steering a project into the flames just to win some ideological battles or self-motivated goals.

Comment

As a person of mixed races white grandmother, black grandfather, indian mother, black father, i identify with the human race not a ethinc group. affirmative action is being forced on society yet is still hasnt been proven to work. those that want to will, those that dont' won't. technology is all around us, we can play with it, use it or help create it. Choice!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
                      I see from your profile that you've asked this question in other articles too... I guess without much looking, at least not on the latter. For example, these were on the first page of a google search:

I don't know much about garbage collection (outside of the kind that happens when you free memory), but in nursing, diversity certainly is also an important issue. It happens that the percentage number of male nurses in the US is several times the number of women in open source, for example.... but, since open source is where I work and can do some good, open source is the area I care about, and what this initiative is for.

There is no doubt that the industry needs more woman in tech but these efforts to pull from the top never work. You literally need to push from the bottom which means getting girls interested in tech well before high school. Let's face it if there is little interest in tech by the time the high school years hit you won't be seeing young woman going to college for these sorts of jobs.

Now I honestly don't know how to change the mindset of the entire nation but I really don't see this Fedra initiative having a big impact. They are literally targeting the wrong end of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X