No announcement yet.

"Why Linux Is Still Not Ready For The Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an user of OS X, Windows 7 and 8.1 and Linux (Fedora or openSUSE)..

My desktop has Windows 7 and Fedora installed.. After a day of use since install, both systems booted in (less than) 1.20min After 3 years of use, the Fedora boot time is the same..
    Windows boot time? It's not booting! (really)..
    But the last week that time was more than 5 minutes.. Never had a virus or spyware, i have a host file in my router..

Last week, while watching a movie on a slow notebook, Windows started to reboot.. And in the screen: Applying update 1 of 5..
    Of course, the movie night was over.. 5 updates and 3 reboots for a slow notebook is not a good thing..

Can you imagine that scenario, but instead of a movie, think about an important PowerPoint presentation, to your boss or a couple of people..

Is Windows ready for desktops?

I think that, in Linux distros open source drivers are not the problem (you can compare them to the generic ones that Windows installs)..
    The problem is that people doesn't look in the right places.. I know people that follow a guide from some place, for a specific distro, to install a Catalyst or nVidia version from 2012.. And they blame AMD or nVidia..
    Some guides are out of date..
    And this is from Video drivers only..

Comment

• I thought Windows could be stopped from auto-updating

Originally posted by SnakeHaveYou View Post
      I'm an user of OS X, Windows 7 and 8.1 and Linux (Fedora or openSUSE)..

<snip>

Last week, while watching a movie on a slow notebook, Windows started to reboot.. And in the screen: Applying update 1 of 5..
      Of course, the movie night was over.. 5 updates and 3 reboots for a slow notebook is not a good thing..

Can you imagine that scenario, but instead of a movie, think about an important PowerPoint presentation, to your boss or a couple of people..

Is Windows ready for desktops?

<snip>
      I always thought Windows users could disable automatic application of updates. Hell, it's supposed to be possible to set Ubuntu to auto-update, though I've never done that for both bandwidth and performance reasons.

Comment

• Lol. That is cute. I guess I (4 linux machines), my wife (with 2 linux machines), my dad (1 linux laptop, 1 linux media centre), a bunch of clients, friends, the entire community that doesn't game, etc. will all just have to wait until it is ready for use. hahahaha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke View Post
          I always thought Windows users could disable automatic application of updates. Hell, it's supposed to be possible to set Ubuntu to auto-update, though I've never done that for both bandwidth and performance reasons.
          The reason i have Windows without malware is that is an original Windows 7 with auto update enabled and i have that hosts file.. hehe..
          Without those things, my Windows will fall into the "Windows is full of virus and is insecure"..
          After an update is installed automaticaly, Windows will ask you to reboot now, in 10min, 1 hour, etc..
          But sometimes, an update that is critical (very critical) will make Windows reboot without any user interaction..

When you see an OS like OS X or some Linux distros, they come out of the box with very useful apps, like a calendar, a mail app or a way to sync some accounts to those apps and to the contacts app..

Comment

• Well, Windows 8 and higher will not even ask to reboot but will just automatically do it if necessary to install updates

Comment

• Any OS that enforces automatic reboots not ready for anything

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Well, Windows 8 and higher will not even ask to reboot but will just automatically do it if necessary to install updates
              Any OS that enforces automatic reboots is not ready for the desktop or anything else. This shit means data loss for people with unsaved work, it means ended movies and videos, all kinds of shit, You could possibly prevent this for a movie showing by disconnecting the Internet connection so that updates cannot be found, assuming Windows has not been changed to prevent offline work. I don't know, I do not use it at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke View Post
                Any OS that enforces automatic reboots is not ready for the desktop or anything else. This shit means data loss for people with unsaved work, it means ended movies and videos, all kinds of shit.
                Then turn it off, it's a GPO that can be toggled at will. It's under "Administrative/Components/Windows Update."

Comment

• Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
                  Then turn it off, it's a GPO that can be toggled at will. It's under "Administrative/Components/Windows Update."
                  This is really caused by the annoying tendency of Windows to lock files/folders in use (e.g. DLLs and executables). It's part of (probably mostly) the reason Windows needs to reboot. It's very annoying and Windows is the only operating system that does this (you have to intentionally lock files in other operating systems!). We also have popular tools like Unlocker because people very often really don't want Windows to lock files/folders!

Comment

• Originally posted by nslay View Post
                    This is really caused by the annoying tendency of Windows to lock files/folders in use (e.g. DLLs and executables). It's part of (probably mostly) the reason Windows needs to reboot.
                    Sure, although you do occasionally need to restart with some *Nix updates as well. I meant that you can tell the OS to not reboot when it wants to, but rather when you do. Not sure why that's enabled by default (catering to clueless users maybe? *shrug*) but it's easily turned off, it's just one of a ton of default settings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
                      thats no argument and you cant deactivate every update at least not with a toggle. And thats not the point a default setting who destroys extremly the user experience for everybody is fatal. And defaults matter, if not bringing out distries like kubuntu would make no sense at all.

And its also a good example of what the problem of proprietary software is. you are just a user of the OS the developer has the control, even if click through the totaly retarded structured 1000 sub menus and want to deactivate updates to prevent this shit. the OS says FUCK you MS developers have control over me you NOT. I ignore your wish, I or my owners have other priorities and keep installing some updates and shutdown your movie.

Comment

Working...
                      X