"Why Linux Is Still Not Ready For The Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    You can fix it in the GUI as well going into Nautilus -> Preferences and ticking a box.

My point is the default setting IMO is ridicules and one of the reasons why i believe isn't ready for the desktop for the masses .

You may wish to keep GNU/Linux to those using the command line for everything id like to see it as an option for anyone coming from windows or simply someone using a computer for the first time without a huge learning curve.
    I'm not wishing to keep Linux for those using the command line. But it's hard to deny that it was designed to be a Unix-like system and so it's designed to be used with the command line. And it's very good at that.

Apple demonstrated that one can wrap a Unix-like system with a GUI environment and make it completely usable with GUI alone. But notice that they're not limiting themselves to ideal Unix philosophies or X. I'm sure Linux can accomplish this same, but they're going to need some big changes for sure (and these changes will probably anger a lot of Unix enthusiasts).

Let's not talk about people using computers for their first time. The concept of the mouse is even difficult for these users (for example, elderly people). There's a learning curve for Windows too. You really do take your knowledge of computing for granted.

Comment

Compare prices on laptops / desktops. Linux options (ex. System76; not counting low-end Chromebooks) are significantly more expensive than your typical Walmart laptop with Windows and a cheesy rebate offer.

Run the same browser performance benchmarks (ex. Peacekeeper) in multiple OS'es. On most user hardware, Windows comes out on top - mostly due to proprietary video drivers having better Windows support. So you need to pay even more to get the same performance on Linux.

So it's the economy, stupid. When that changes, Linux-on-the-deskop will take off pretty fast.

/* Which won't help me much; I'm a BSD nut. */

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
        Let's not talk about people using computers for their first time. The concept of the mouse is even difficult for these users (for example, elderly people). There's a learning curve for Windows too. You really do take your knowledge of computing for granted.
        we cant design computers or complete oses to this noob-users else everybody have to use a minimal productive system forever.
        We have some accessable features environments for such people but we cant through away 70% of our productability for that.

To the apple environment except expensive locked down hardware and availability of some proprietary software I dont see big differences between gnome and the ui of macosx. the current version of macosx is even more or less a gnome 3 ripoff.

Comment

1) Automatize: Linux doesn't update forever on its own and without user questions -with the latest software-, wile if the update brakes doesn't repair on its own. You also need external software that will brake you upgrade. Repositories???, terminal??? wau!!! Wrong defaults (Firefox privacy + extensions for example) "Simple users are off".

2) Compatibility: Gallium Nine is off for Intel and Nvidia doesn't overclock!!! in year 2015. Gallium Ten will not come this way (and its out there somewhere). Wine must complete the last 20% of the build-in DLLs, no Winetricks and MS-fonts. We also need to upgrade our ISA emulation speed from 10% to 70%. "Advanced users are off".

Comment

1. Few months ago I have formatted my external USB HDD meant for backups with a LVM partitioning model under Parted Magic and moved my backups to that drive. Since then I'm unable to access my data on my normal Linux installs without using root. Change mounting options? Forget it. Now udev handles it and screw me if writing udev rules is as simple as handling fstab.

2. What's the time a Linux noob can keep OUT OF TERMINAL. If he installs the Linux on his own, probably before he even boots to a working system. Broadcom WiFi anyone? If he gets someone to do the installation for him, he'll be forced into the terminal at the very first and slightest problem he encounters.

Linux can't be noob friendly because it's not even intermediate friendly. And that's because all of the eggheads creating Linux, from the top to the very bottom, don't even have usability on their lists. Proven over and over.

And don't even get me started with config defaults!

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              1) Automatize: Linux doesn't update forever on its own and without user questions -with the latest software-, wile if the update brakes doesn't repair on its own. You also need external software that will brake you upgrade. Repositories???, terminal??? wau!!! Wrong defaults (Firefox privacy + extensions for example) "Simple users are off".
              its hard to compare windows only update with a full every application installed update. but even the partial update process from windows is 1000x more broken then microsofts thing. you say it "makes it automatic" I say it forces you to upgrade in the times where it is the worst time possible. its unbelivable its late in the night you need urgently go to sleep. the pc is in the same room like your bed is maybe and it says to you no I dont shutdown like you asked me to. I will install updates the next 30 minutes no you don't can cancel it and if you power off now most likely windows is kaputt.

btw RPM Fusion is the only thing you need in fedora and never will it breat any updates.

2) Compatibility: Gallium Nine is off for Intel and Nvidia doesn't overclock!!! in year 2015. Gallium Ten will not come this way (and its out there somewhere). Wine must complete the last 20% of the build-in DLLs, no Winetricks and MS-fonts. We also need to upgrade our ISA emulation speed from 10% to 70%. "Advanced users are off".
              so nvidia sucks, just boykott them for live and at some day maybe in 20 years this bast... go bankrupt and we all can open a bottle of wine/prosecco. I had a tear in my eye when I heard that amd did buy ati and I new that amd will go this open way. linux will not go away proprietary graphic card driver will and did go away.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                Except the command line isn't user friendly at all. It requires a manual sit next to you as you type in commands or for you to fetch help from the command itself. It requires you struggle with human error. None of this is ideal compared to a GUI or even CLI that can accomplish 100% of what the command line can do.

The flaws don't vanish. I still require a bash manual after over a decade of using it. I admit it has times when it's powerful and things like piping and redirecting are especially so but these are very minor cases for power users. Accepting a user unfriendly environment that's harsh towards anyone who isn't already familiar with the territory is a mindset that will prove time and time again that Linux isn't the OS for the desktop.

That said, a lot of core applications already have a GUI to replace the CLI interface, such as NetworkManager, UIs for power management, sound, monitor resolution, etc. provided by most DEs. The terminal is not, and will never be, the most convenient solution for the user, even if it is the most convenient for the developer.
                This!
                And boy isn't it the subject that makes all usability illiterates in the room raise their heads!

Comment

how nvidia can become much problems in next years:

fglrx will ever be a bit off, it will never be a very good stable driver, but with steamos millions of new users will switch to linux. amd will when there are more users there (steamos) hire more linux driver developers. the few radeon devs did make a very good job consider the resources, so with many more developers it will become soon the only real desktop linux driver. fglrx is then for some company workstation only. then you have a feature rich and fast rock solid stable driver.. that will in the long run create much pressure on nvidia

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, you get flash and Microsoft fonts from ticking a check box at the beginning of an Ubuntu install. If he can't manage that then Linux is certainly not ready for him and never will be.

Another thing: He seems to have all the software he requires on Windows and the experience of using it is far superior to his eyes... so what are his reasons for wanting to use Linux again? The hell if I know from the article, since he refrains from elucidating them. Click-bait troll strikes again IMO.

Comment

• After 10 exciting years doing research with Linux:

PDF: If you care about Linux desktop please work on a Free PDF annotation and editor that is compatible with PDF-xchange or adobe acrobat.

Gimp: I wished it would be possible to redesign its interface to make it compatible with Photoshop.

Libreoffice: I wished it had a better and intuitive interface, like office 365.

Linux Desktop is not ready, because it is impossible to do everything in Linux. I don't think the proper distro would fix everything although it would have some impact on the user experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X