"Why Linux Is Still Not Ready For The Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    So the entire market share that we're lacking is just a hoax? Nothing needs to change in the desktop environment, it's perfect?
    One reason why we have so many distributions is the difference in out of the box experiences in the desktop. We can just as easily have one specifically for the sake of adhering to what people like in Windows and MacOSX... which just so happens to be more user friendly and something people tend to like. There's no one specific way for a Linux environment to work.

I don't think Ubuntu should be considered the ideal for this situation at all for what it's worth. Ubuntu/Unity feels like Windows 95 in stability terms compared to Windows 8.1 or MacOSX. It's also just an odd interface that not many from MacOSX or Windows can relate to or like at all. I can't stand Unity... I find it convoluted and messy. I can only imagine how someone from a clean MacOSX environment would feel.

I understand that there are DEs other than Unity but presentation is part of the key to any product. If you're selling gold but presenting shit, people are gonna think your gold is shit. In this case, the gold really is shit in some cases...
    No, you completely missed my point. It's not that Unix-like desktops are imperfect or perfect as they are. Unix-like systems are just different. You work with them differently. It's a little like the differences between working with OS X and Windows. Only Unix involves a terminal.

It's not that Windows is necessarily easy or intuitive at everything it does. Or that basic Unix command line usage is impossibly hard. It's that everyone already knows how to use Windows. As it's practically everywhere, you're constantly finding yourself using Windows quite often. So it's no surprise that the Windows interface is the norm for computing and that desktop environments try to mimic it.

Unix was developed for the terminal. All the tools were developed for terminals. It's really awesome with terminals because decades of development tailored it to terminals. This is the de facto interface for Unix-like systems. It's how it was designed to be used. The GUI is a later, tacked-on, addition (and man does it feel tacked-on). It's even a 3rd party process that you start from the terminal (startx or /etc/ttys) and even runs in a terminal (I think it's ttyv7 in FreeBSD). It can even crash and return you to the terminal...

On the other hand, a system like Windows was developed for the GUI from the very beginning. Everything in Windows was designed for the GUI from the start. Decades of development tailored it to the GUI. It's the de facto interface for Windows. It's very well integrated into the OS.

Comment

• Originally posted by nslay View Post
      No, you completely missed my point. It's not that Unix-like desktops are imperfect or perfect as they are. Unix-like systems are just different. You work with them differently. It's a little like the differences between working with OS X and Windows. Only Unix involves a terminal.

It's not that Windows is necessarily easy or intuitive at everything it does. Or that basic Unix command line usage is impossibly hard. It's that everyone already knows how to use Windows. As it's practically everywhere, you're constantly finding yourself using Windows quite often. So it's no surprise that the Windows interface is the norm for computing and that desktop environments try to mimic it.

Unix was developed for the terminal. All the tools were developed for terminals. It's really awesome with terminals because decades of development tailored it to terminals. This is the de facto interface for Unix-like systems. It's how it was designed to be used. The GUI is a later, tacked-on, addition (and man does it feel tacked-on). It's even a 3rd party process that you start from the terminal (startx or /etc/ttys) and even runs in a terminal (I think it's ttyv7 in FreeBSD). It can even crash and return you to the terminal...

On the other hand, a system like Windows was developed for the GUI from the very beginning. Everything in Windows was designed for the GUI from the start. Decades of development tailored it to the GUI. It's the de facto interface for Windows. It's very well integrated into the OS.
      Then why compete if you won't accept what people don't like? I'd very well like to leave your mindset in the past.

Comment

I understand that there are DEs other than Unity but presentation is part of the key to any product. If you're selling gold but presenting shit, people are gonna think your gold is shit. In this case, the gold really is shit in some cases...
        So ubuntu is a really shity distro now. I agree to that, but ubuntu is not linux.

Comment

Then why compete if you won't accept what people don't like? I'd very well like to leave your mindset in the past.
          And I very much hope that people with your mindset stay completely away from linux. -Obviously- it wasnt made for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            So ubuntu is a really shity distro now. I agree to that, but ubuntu is not linux.
            Way to take a quote out of context...

And I very much hope that people with your mindset stay completely away from linux. -Obviously- it wasnt made for you.

Actually, I can make Linux do whatever I want. I'm a developer, it literally is made for me. It's not your place to decide who or what Linux is for. If you ask Linus if Linux is designed around the terminal, he would probably call you an idiot.

EDIT: Not to mention the success stories like the phone market or servers. Two completely different scenarios where Linux seems to fit their needs flawlessly.
            Last edited by computerquip; 15 March 2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• It doesn't matter if you're a developer or not. If -you- don't like using a terminal, then linux wasn't made for you. Use something else and stop bitching about it.

Comment

Way to take a quote out of context...
                hmm because it was in context you or to whomever I anwered with that, listed some ubuntu only problems and made a case of this to say that "linux is not desktopready" I just say if ubuntu is not desktop ready it does not mean linux as example gnome is not ready.

EDIT: Not to mention the success stories like the phone market or servers. Two completely different scenarios where Linux seems to fit their needs flawlessly.
                to the Android thing, do you mean linux as os what most people use as shortcut for GNU/Linux or do you mean a Linux (kernel) BASED os. a Kernel alone is no Operation System.

Comment

• Why was this even covered by Phoronix? Come on! It's obvious flame bait and advert bait from Fudzilla, and then used in the same way on Phoronix.

The guy obviously just doesn't want to re-learn anything.

Comment

• duby229 is a troll, please don't feed trolls.

the troll has been quite successful in attracting a lot of attention for exaggeration, half-truths, deliberate misinformation, and out of date ideas.

fortunately Phoronix is unlikely to be read by people looking for an excuse to avoid linux.
                    Last edited by speculatrix; 15 March 2015, 03:46 PM. Reason: s/feel/feed/ oh dear what a typo!!

Comment

• Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                      duby229 is a troll, please don't feed trolls.

the troll has been quite successful in attracting a lot of attention for exaggeration, half-truths, deliberate misinformation, and out of date ideas.

fortunately Phoronix is unlikely to be read by people looking for an excuse to avoid linux.
                      Why is it the troll that always calls someone else a troll? If you don't like it and you don't want to use it, then don't use it and stop bitching about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X