No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.0 Turns Five Years Old, Mesa Still Doesn't Fully Support It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as far as Vulkan drivers go, there was interesting question in todays LunarG AMA

Comment

1. Vulkan drivers.
      2. Mesa on top of Vulkan, all vendors, and community keeping mesa up to date.
      3. Profi... err... Reduced driver development costs.

Comment

Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
        1. Vulkan drivers.
        Vulkan drivers has even lower priority then OpenGL 4 support... well even specs are unknown yet .

2. Mesa on top of Vulkan, all vendors, and community keeping mesa up to date.
        I assume that 'Mesa on top of Vulkan' means - drivers being broken for years for not yet known or if any gain .

3. Profi... err... Reduced driver development costs.
        As always, for reducing development costs it is the best to do nothing, just wait or do something else if you dunno yet what you going to do .
        Last edited by dungeon; 12 March 2015, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
          I'm wondering...if Vulkan eventually replaces OpenGL, then would that end the practice of game specific optimisations in graphics drivers?
          I doupt it. Nvidia replaces game shaders with precompiled, tuned versions and with Vulkan you're doing everything in shaders, so...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            But intel doesn't even seem to be focusing on openCL anymore either, which their GPU is decent for.
            Huh? Check the Beignet git log:

Continuous activity, last commit three days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Well as i see it, it is not if some company provide some features or not, it is about how well it was accepted and it is not... Thing is not only about OpenGL 4, but also about Direct3D 11.x both are epic fail
              The reason nobody used them is simple, PS3 and Xbox360 are DirectX 9.0c level hardware. It also didn't help that Microsoft has been looking to kill PC gaming since the original Xbox, even if they'll never admit it. It is only due to recent indy game wave, mostly initiated by mobile gaming I guess, that the big publishers turned their attention back to PC, as they saw that there is still money to make.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Do you think Gallium will replace TGSI with SPIR-V? Is SPIR-V broad enough to support D3D as well as OpenGL - I'm guessing that would be a prerequisite to VMware using it due to their DX10/11 state tracker. If it did change I imagine it would save lots of conversions between the different IRs everyone seems to be using lately

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  The reason nobody used them is simple, PS3 and Xbox360 are DirectX 9.0c level hardware. It also didn't help that Microsoft has been looking to kill PC gaming since the original Xbox, even if they'll never admit it. It is only due to recent indy game wave, mostly initiated by mobile gaming I guess, that the big publishers turned their attention back to PC, as they saw that there is still money to make.

Just my two cents.
                  Well i said DX11 is failed API, reason that nearly no one will use it anymore is simple - it will be replaced by DX12 . But you seems to mean with that DX11 games will see large expansion again, i don't think so - it will be abandoned for new games. Particulary after Microsoft said that DX12 games will have significant performance boost on Xbox One - likely game devs used it right now and people just waiting holydays 2015.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 March 2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Well i said DX11 is failed API, reason that nearly no one will use it anymore is simple - it will be replaced by DX12 . But you seems to mean with that DX11 games will see large expansion again, i don't think so - it will be abandoned for new games. Particulary after Microsoft said that DX12 games will have significant performance boost on Xbox One - likely game devs used it right now and people just waiting holydays 2015.
                    That's not the point I'm making - VMware need the DX state tracker to do host acceleration in their VMs so they wouldn't switch unless that continued to work

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                      That's not the point I'm making - VMware need the DX state tracker to do host acceleration in their VMs so they wouldn't switch unless that continued to work
                      I think you somehow missquoted me

Just psssttt about VMware and their closed source trackers, people will call for forking Mesa
                      Last edited by dungeon; 12 March 2015, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X