The Latest Round Of GNOME's Outreach Program For Women Wraps Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I think that they should stop giving special treatment to women (or anyone else) and just treat everyone equally or by meritocracy.

My opinion is that these programs are sexist and discriminatory.
    As long as they're smokin' hot I'm okay with it.

Comment

Last edited by FuturePilot; 11 May 2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post
        30 years? Here in Germany, 70% of all new medical doctors are female right now. Wanna see our "Oh damn, we need more males as doctors" programs?
        Guess you are out of luck because we are still spending all our money on increasing the amount of female doctors because equality or something.
        Originally posted by Qaridarium
        This means that women are preferred over men by 7% in the German education system.

So I am German, a man and I do not have a university entrance qualification by high school graduation.
        I guess it's probably over 50% already. But both of you are German. You should watch the way you talk. Last time we argued about equality, well, you're legally not allowed to deny it.

Seriously, it's a good thing. More women should be into technology. But because they like it. Not because the financial incentives. Women have to change their culture from vanity (Kardashians) to production. Promote smart women as desirable. Half the battle has to be fought by men. When men admire smart productive women, then women will strive to become smart and productive.

At the end of the day, it's still a man's world. By far. Women navigate here, but we rule. Maybe it will always be that way, because biology of diphormism.

Look, we geeks grew up on video games, everybody calling us bad names. No women would play with us. But we grew up. Now we rule. Now women claim to love videogames. Because successful men play them, it's no longer ridiculous, and women are open to the idea. Stop being so judgemental. Evolution is painful, it takes time, and it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by iterativ View Post
          Maybe it is so.

But again, can we just blind ourselves to the injustice and corrupt society ? Let's state some facts. Land owners are 99% men, 1% women. Like the land should be owned by anyone... Let's use a so called developed country (not a "3rd world" one) for another example. In USA women earn 70-80% of what men do for the SAME job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male%E2..._United_States

The objective is not any kind of special treatment, but to raise awareness, point the facts, trigger thought processes, maybe change for the better.
          If the pay gap were a real thing then why would an employer hire a man ? Patriarchy!!!!! Not a chance... Feminist are a hard core political arm that should be squashed (GAMERGATE anyone).. These people are nothing more then misandrist control freaks and when you call them on their B.S. they claim victim hood. This is why we should not tolerate this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pEvYLFJtpg ref... http://www.thefreedictionary.com/misandrist

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I think that they should stop giving special treatment to women (or anyone else) and just treat everyone equally or by meritocracy.

My opinion is that these programs are sexist and discriminatory.
            Every. Fucking. Thread.

Sometimes I think Michael knows exactly what he's doing posting these OPW updates because it attracts the exact same shit posts every time.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              Look, we geeks grew up on video games, everybody calling us bad names. No women would play with us. But we grew up. Now we rule. Now women claim to love videogames. Because successful men play them, it's no longer ridiculous, and women are open to the idea. Stop being so judgemental. Evolution is painful, it takes time, and it's worth it.
              Video games as we knew them is about to change to political correctness and nerf. We need to get feminist out of gaming.. By the way it's not women with whom i take offence to it's feminist that are the problem. Most women do not know what 3rd wave feminist stand for and support them ignorantly...

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Every. Fucking. Thread.

Sometimes I think Michael knows exactly what he's doing posting these OPW updates because it attracts the exact same shit posts every time.
                Yeah, and I still haven't learned my lesson- I'm still reading Phoronix. The ratio of reason to madness in the forums is very similar to the ratio of news to filler on the main site.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  Every. Fucking. Thread.

Haha, are you accusing Michael of being efficient and knowing his audience?

Comment

I think it's interesting to note that under representation of women is always framed as as something being deliberately done by men to women. One could, with equal evidence, claim that men are simply more altruistic and idealistic than women and women aren't pulling their weight when it comes to free software. Also of note is that most accusations of sexism come from outsiders, many of whom are professionally aggrieved so they can't be satisfied no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                      I think it's interesting to note that under representation of women is always framed as as something being deliberately done by men to women.
                      I haven't heard *anyone* suggest that this is done deliberately (i.e. intentionally). There might be a few really, really big assholes who deliberately try to keep women out, but for the most parts I'd say this is more a component of culture which makes it hard for us men to actually notice it.

Comment

Working...
                      X