Reported Steam Linux Usage Battles To Stay Above 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sergk View Post
    Apparently survey is implemented in browser only and requires Adobe Flash. Which I don't have and not bothering to install.
    Freedom is yours of course... probably someone block java scripts and never notice it too because not bothering to unblock it
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 March 2015, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Where is the source about Flash requirement? Or is it just a "I read it somewhere on the Internet" or "somebody told my friend" type of thing?

The survey popped up for me a few days ago and it was a regular Steam popup. I could not detect anything that would tell me that it required Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by joh??n View Post
        Where is the source about Flash requirement? Or is it just a "I read it somewhere on the Internet" or "somebody told my friend" type of thing?
        People have a right to guess... because, where is the source of random appearing? For some people it never appear, even random
        Last edited by dungeon; 07 March 2015, 06:04 AM.

Comment

It is all about Steam Machines not GNU/Linux desktop

I think Steam OS is all about Steam Machines and avoid any OS taxation.

Steam Machines are listed from about 450 USD, with an i3 and a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti alike with 2 Gb or RAM it does out perform any actual console prized at 400 USD more or less mi graphic card is the GTX 750 Ti with a cheap an old Athlon 450 x3 and every Steam Game I own works great, and reading tests here is more than capable of runnong games at 1080p@30fps that most of the consoles barey do and almost all at 1080p@60fps.

As the Steam Machines will be able also to have plugged in PS4 XBOX and PS4 and XBOS alike pads and the new Steam pad, any well informed adult would buy a Steam Machine instead of a PS4 or XBOX, even more when there are more games and they are cheaper and you can also install other game shops - not as at the other consoles -

So what is more likely to happen is that Steam Machines will erase MS and Sony consoles from the market.

And if at the survey (that i do not know why don't they do it from user data instead of a survey) Stgeam MAchines are a catagory it wil grow a lot, and Linux desltop more or less would stay at 1% unless any OEM begins to sell at retail stores Ubuntu (or ny other GNU/Linux) preinstalled as Google did with their Chormebooks, becouse main street do not install their own OSs, they use what it comes pre installed.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
            So what is more likely to happen is that Steam Machines will erase MS and Sony consoles from the market.
            It could be _possible_ if such consoles did not come with any exclusive games. But they always do.

I buy a new console whenever I want to try a new game not otherwise available. The console itself is just an extra.

I don't really know, but I'd imagine many others do the same?

Comment

i only need 3 games to make the definite move
              shugon 2
              world of tanks
              league of legends

and no more windows for me. ever.

Comment

Windows in a VM

I've just managed to get Windows working in a virtual machine with PCI passthrough. Then again I mostly play World of Tanks at the moment so it doesn't affect the Steam stats anyway.

For me personally I would need stable and working AMD drivers. The last one I tried, Catalyst version 14.4 was absolute garbage! I'd love to game more on Linux but I can't do it right now. I have a Radeon 7950 which effectively does not work in Linux (well it sort of works but it's a big PITA) so I'll continue using my VM setup for now.

Comment

"Linux users base is declining"

When will Michael realize that this statement is completely wrong and utterly false ?

This would ONLY be true if the Steam user base as a whole was a constant. But hey, look at how fast the user base is growing overall. They have reached 125 millions of users this year, they were just 70 M not too long ago. So even if you don't increase your share more than 1%, the overall user base of Linux users is still growing actually. Please consider absolute numbers, not percentages!

Comment

Originally posted by Ekianjo View Post
                    "Linux users base is declining"

When will Michael realize that this statement is completely wrong and utterly false ?

This would ONLY be true if the Steam user base as a whole was a constant. But hey, look at how fast the user base is growing overall. They have reached 125 millions of users this year, they were just 70 M not too long ago. So even if you don't increase your share more than 1%, the overall user base of Linux users is still growing actually. Please consider absolute numbers, not percentages!
                    Yeah, there's like 10 people using it now instead of 5! 100% growth platform!

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      Yeah, there's like 10 people using it now instead of 5! 100% growth platform!
                      Are you just trying to make yourself sound like a fool ?

125 000 000 * 1/100 = 1 250 000 users on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X