Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Khronos Group's Vulkan, SPIR-V & OpenCL 2.1 Presentations

Phoronix: The Khronos Group's Vulkan, SPIR-V & OpenCL 2.1 Presentations

For those wishing to learn more about The Khronos Group's work on Vulkan, SPIR-V, and OpenCL 2.1, their presentations and videos are now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I absolutely could care less with this abstraction C++ decision from Khronos. C++ as a layer of abstraction is a giant pig on top of C.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      I absolutely could care less with this abstraction C++ decision from Khronos. C++ as a layer of abstraction is a giant pig on top of C.
      You could care less?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        I absolutely couldn't care less with this abstraction C++ decision from Khronos. C++ as a layer of abstraction is a giant pig on top of C.
        Fixed.

Do you mean that SPIR-V is a C++ abstraction?

Comment

I think he's referring to OpenCL C++?

Comment

SPIR-V is c

Comment

Spir-V is not C. Spir-V is a language itself.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                Spir-V is not C. Spir-V is a language itself.
                Though, it is seems that Spir-V is a binary format that could be a target of a language that is essentially C, like OpenCL C.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  I think he's referring to OpenCL C++?
                  In the video, someone in the audience complains that Vulkan is still a C API rather than C++ during the Q&A, i guess that's what he's referring to.

The presenters pretty much blew him off and said everyone wanted a C api, and that if people wanted something in c++ it should be trivial for a library to wrap it around Vulkan.

Comment

no more SLI/CrossFire, if there ever was good news...

also, is it just me or batteries should/could last helluva longer with this? if code is tampered to VSYNC or any kind of capping, battery gains could be pretty awesome

Comment

Working...
                    X