The Khronos Group's Vulkan, SPIR-V & OpenCL 2.1 Presentations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    Do we know if Vulkan on Linux will be independent of X like egl so that it can be used by Wayland compositors and applications? Currently I think applications need glx for regular openGL and thus can't run on Wayland, or am I wrong?
    egl, like glx, gives you a "context" where you can draw in using opengl
    so, should all work np
    not that it matters as things like SDL abstract it

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      yea make C++ wrapper for C API is much easier than making C wrapper for C++ API.
      C abi is the lowest abstraction that exists, so it's kinda the universal abi
      (there's more to it, google "calling convention")

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
        egl, like glx, gives you a "context" where you can draw in using opengl
        Do you have all of openGL with the egl created contexts? I always thought it was just openGL ES.

Comment

Do you have all of openGL with the egl created contexts? I always thought it was just openGL ES.
          yes
          EGL is an interface between Khronos rendering APIs (such as OpenGL, OpenGL ES or OpenVG) and the underlying native platform windowing system.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            You could care less?
            I could not but since this forum has a time stamp on the editing context I did not catch it.

Comment

I think it's possible (though there're other factors like the matter of facts that the driver support the OpenGL context or not).

eglCreateContext creates an EGL rendering context for the current rendering API (as set with eglBindAPI) and returns a handle to the context. The context can then be used to render into an EGL drawing surface. If eglCreateContext fails to create a rendering context, EGL_NO_CONTEXT is returned.
              eglBindAPI defines the current rendering API for EGL in the thread it is called from. The current rendering API is one of the client rendering APIs supported by the EGL implementation, and affects the behavior of other EGL commands including eglCreateContext, eglGetCurrentContext, eglGetCurrentDisplay, eglGetCurrentSurface, eglMakeCurrent, eglWaitClient, and eglWaitNative.

If api is EGL_OPENGL_API, the current rendering API is set to the OpenGL API.

If api is EGL_OPENGL_ES_API, the current rendering API is set to the OpenGL ES API.

If api is EGL_OPENVG_API, the current rendering API is set to the OpenVG API.

If an error occurs, the current rendering API is unchanged.
              References:

Comment

That's great, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  I could not but since this forum has a time stamp on the editing context I did not catch it.
                  you could always care less
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIOrQasR18

Comment

Correct link to OpenCL slides: https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploa...-GDC_Mar15.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                      http://www.hxa.name/minilight/#comparison

cpp does not give you absolute control over memory management, so it will never be as fast as C
                      (and no, i don't count heavy hacks or using C as cpp)
                      As someone who prefers C, this is an absolute bologna and false statement.

Comment

Working...
                      X