Valve Starts Listing The Steam Machines In The Steam Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
    Out of curiosity, given the systems as they are advertised, how many people reading this plan on buying one of the currently advertised Steam Machines within 9-10 months of their respective releases?
    I might actually get the Alienware model, everything else is something I can build better and cheaper, but the Dell model is interesting due to size. If not that I will likely just build something that I will leave in a closet to act as a game server and just stream everything.

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/353400/

$1,099 for an i3 and a 750Ti?

Are they out of their mind?
    That one indeed is. =p

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Those platforms actually have game exclusives to set them apart and, more importantly, they are the first target for new game releases.

Steam Machines have five-year-old retreads.

The point is................ there is a catch-22 here. Developers are not going to target Steam Machines unless it's an important platform, and that requires a lot of immediate interest up front so that it would take off rather than crash land. So Valve needed to generate a lot of interest in Steam Machines. But they didn't. They brought a knife to a gunfight.
      The point is, major game engines are free now, developers won't bother and spend money writing their own. And these engines will make linux/steamos versions at a click of a button. Games will be multiplatform and run on anything.

Exclusives are actually a bad thing so I wonder why you mention them as a benefit. They only cause angry users and lost sales.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
        That one indeed is. =p
        Most steam machines have terrible price/performance ratio. It's insane to say that the alienware steam machine is the best price/performance there is, when alienware is well known for beefy machines that cost an arm and a leg, and even that one is a bit mediocre (2GB of VRAM, really?).

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

$700 for a pentium dual core and a 960?

This costs about the same as the alienware but has a god damn 250X with 1GB of VRAM

$900 machine with a 960 when you could very well do one with a better card from AMD

$800 for a 750GTX!?

How does Valve even allow this?

Comment

Most steam machines have terrible price/performance ratio. It's insane to say that the alienware steam machine is the best price/performance there is, when alienware is well known for beefy machines that cost an arm and a leg, and even that one is a bit mediocre (2GB of VRAM, really?).

This costs about the same as the alienware but has a god damn 250X with 1GB of VRAM

$900 machine with a 960 when you could very well do one with a better card from AMD

$800 for a 750GTX!?

I have multiple theories:
          1. It's bundled with hardware +/or software like a console is
          2. Niche: low stock, higher price
          3. Size. Some of these are really compact
          4. Labour to get these set up and working okay

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

The alienware steam machine seems to come with games and a controller already. If that's true and it costs $475 then it's a pretty great deal

Key Features:
            MASSIVE GAMES LIBRARY ? Play over 980 games locally including Portal 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! and Dying Light. In addition to over 4,000 games available via streaming.
            VALUE ? Comes bundled with games and in-game content out of the box
            STEAM CONTROLLER - The ultimate accessory to game in the living room is included
            MULTI-PLAYER - Play with up to 4 Steam Controllers at once
            POWERFUL GAMING ? Equipped with NVIDIA? GeForce? GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 graphics and Intel? Core processors
            That "powerful gaming" made me chuckle

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              2. Niche: low stock, higher price
              3. Size. Some of these are really compact
              4. Labour to get these set up and working okay
              Plus you can add official support, though valve is not too good when it comes to this...

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353390/ The alienware steam machine seems to come with games and a controller already. If that's true and it costs $475 then it's a pretty great deal
                No kidding.

That "powerful gaming" made me chuckle
                Heh. Change gaming to play and you have a Sony slogan. "Powerful play."

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
                  Out of curiosity, given the systems as they are advertised, how many people reading this plan on buying one of the currently advertised Steam Machines within 9-10 months of their respective releases?
                  I am planning to buy one of them when they are released. Haven't decided which one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er
                    I bought a Zotac en760 - you could call this a last gen Steam Machine if you will.
                    As you said, the ZOTAC EN760 is what remains of what seemingly was going to be ZOTAC's first gen Steam Machine, until delays made that unfeasible. As such, it isn't officially branded or marketed as a Steam Machine, and ZOTAC has announced the SN970. The barebone (no memory, no HDD) EN760 was launched at $549.99, and the EN760 Plus (8GB DDR3L-1600MHz SODIMM, 1TB 5400RPM HDD) was launched at $699.99.

The aforementioned aside, a few follow-up research questions:
                    Do you have SteamOS installed?
                    If SteamOS is installed, do you use desktop mode regularly?
                    You are dual-booting with Windows and were already a Steam customer, correct?

The alienware steam machine seems to come with games and a controller already.
                    "Every Steam Machine runs SteamOS and ships with a Steam Controller..."

The current Alienware Alpha (what would have been Alienware's first gen Steam Machine) comes "bundled with free bonus content including the complete versions of Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Awesomenauts, Magicka, Metro: Last Light, PAYDAY 2 and Strike Suit Zero. Alienware Alpha will also include an exclusive Gauntlet in-game item, the Magicka: Dungeons and Daemons DLC, as well as Alienware exclusive demos of Defense Grid 2 and Super Splatters." I imagine the Alienware Steam Machine will offer something comparable.

Comment

$800 for a 750GTX!?

Where did I say the Alienware Alpha was a good price/performance, I commanded it on it size, I'm personally unable to make something as small with off the shelf part at that price, that thing got a custom motherboard, GPU, cooling and case.

Comment

Working...
                      X