No announcement yet.

Valve Starts Listing The Steam Machines In The Steam Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL great! And some smartass propagandist people claimed steam machines have no future. Its already happening.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Too expensive and little game selection so you're going to be streaming anyway -- might as well just get the Steam Link.

Now if Valve had done something to make SteamOS amazing and given it a clear advantage over Windows, or did something really incredible like bundle some amazing highly-anticipated games with their console, people would be excited.

But they didn't.
      Tell us how the PS4 or Shitbox One is cheaper or arrived with a larger collection on release. They must as well be dead...

Comment

I did

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
        Out of curiosity, given the systems as they are advertised, how many people reading this plan on buying one of the currently advertised Steam Machines within 9-10 months of their respective releases?
        I bought a Zotac en760 - you could call this a last gen Steam Machine if you will.

Reason was that my gaming laptop was getting old and since I bought it it changed from mobile gaming to main rig because my game PC died and I gained a wife and children which means I lost my game room.
        So I needed a replacement that I can use on my couch.
        I had a Raspberry Pi with openelec as media center and it was slow and If my wife found a movie on a steaming site I was not guarantied to find it on the media center.
        To test out the use case I hooked up my laptop for some weeks to the TV and used it to watch movies, play games and browse the web. As inputs I used a ps3 bt keyboard and my orochi bt mouse as well as the PS3 controllers.

The alternative of buying a console was hindered by the need of buying new games for it and thanks to the humble bundles I have a big collection of windows and linux games on steam. Also watching movies, youtube and browsing on a console can't compare to my dualboot steam machine.

So I got a nice looking space conserving game console / media center / uncrippled dualboot PC with 80+ games included for $700.
        I call this a good deal.

Comment

I did buy one

Out of curiosity, given the systems as they are advertised, how many people reading this plan on buying one of the currently advertised Steam Machines within 9-10 months of their respective releases?
          I bought a Zotac en760 - you could call this a last gen Steam Machine if you will.

Reason was that my gaming laptop was getting old and since I bought it it changed from mobile gaming to main rig because my game PC died and I gained a wife and children which means I lost my game room.
          So I needed a replacement that I can use on my couch.
          I had a Raspberry Pi with openelec as media center and it was slow and If my wife found a movie on a steaming site I was not guarantied to find it on the media center.
          To test out the use case I hooked up my laptop for some weeks to the TV and used it to watch movies, play games and browse the web. As inputs I used a ps3 bt keyboard and my orochi bt mouse as well as the PS3 controllers.

The alternative of buying a console was hindered by the need of buying new games for it and thanks to the humble bundles I have a big collection of windows and linux games on steam. Also watching movies, youtube and browsing on a console can't compare to my dualboot steam machine.

So I got a nice looking space conserving game console / media center / uncrippled dualboot PC with 80+ games included for $700.
          I call this a good deal.

Comment

Alienware Steam Machine A
            CPU: Intel? Core? i3 Dual-Core processor
            GPU: NVIDIA? Geforce? GTX - 2GB GDDR5
            Memory: 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz
            Storage: 500GB Hard Drive
            I do love hardware gambling Can get a GTX 660, or maybe a 750 or 770 (and whatever other cards fall into that category)!

(I know specs aren't finalized of course)

But in any case; I have zero reason to buy such a machine. My desktop is more than powerful enough to handle most games at 1080p@60, and my network conditions are pretty ideal too for streaming. So I could either build a $200-$300 HTPC (given if I want to do more than just Steam streaming on it), or pick-up the $50 Steam Link.

Someone who doesn't have a powerful computer, or who can't be bothered with building one; that might be the target audience for such a machine imo.

Comment

In all honesty these things are a bit too expensive to sway Console users away from their current systems. Because these things can be built by anyone with knowledge of Computers and I actually LIKE building Computers; I'd probably just build one for way cheaper.

I've always been able to get away with building my own computers every few years for under $200 by reusing parts from my old Computer. All I need is a Mobo, Ram and a CPU as I have the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                In all honesty these things are a bit too expensive to sway Console users away from their current systems.
                Is that true? Games are much more expensive for consoles, there are no sales like on Steam and people have to pay suscription fees as well.

Comment

Wait is too long

I stopped waiting for these things (November 2015? WTH?) and built my own. Top-end specs, ultra-quiet, runs anything Steam can deliver, leveraging previous investments. Probably cost me a bit more than most of the boxes advertized on Steam, but has higher specs than most of them. Also, I can double it as a part of my build farm during working hours.

I'm not sure what the argument against these things is. Then again, I was never a console gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Tell us how the PS4 or Shitbox One is cheaper or arrived with a larger collection on release. They must as well be dead...
                    Those platforms actually have game exclusives to set them apart and, more importantly, they are the first target for new game releases.

Steam Machines have five-year-old retreads.

The point is................ there is a catch-22 here. Developers are not going to target Steam Machines unless it's an important platform, and that requires a lot of immediate interest up front so that it would take off rather than crash land. So Valve needed to generate a lot of interest in Steam Machines. But they didn't. They brought a knife to a gunfight.

Comment

Alternate Steam Machine

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Alternate Steam Machine
                      Price: $1,099 USD
                      CPU: Intel? Core? i3-4130
                      GPU: NVIDIA? Geforce? GTX 750Ti
                      Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
                      Storage: 500GB SSHD
                      $1,099 for an i3 and a 750Ti?

Are they out of their mind?

Comment

Working...
                      X