Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed: Vulkan Is The Next-Gen Graphics API

Phoronix: Confirmed: Vulkan Is The Next-Gen Graphics API

As a follow-up to last week's "Vulkan" trademark by the Khronos Group and mulling it over this weekend, I've now been able to confirm with two independent entities that Vulkan is indeed the next-gen graphics API designed as the successor to OpenGL for high performance 2D/3D graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I look forward to the official announcement and details from GDC2015 tomorrow.

Comment

Gosh, I hope it is easy for development. I would love to see next open standard with wide adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        Gosh, I hope it is easy for development.
        It's depend on what you mean as "development" because all low-level APIs are harder for independent developer.
        After all their main target is high performance for game engines that usually have huge development teams.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Confirmed: Vulkan Is The Next-Gen Graphics API
          While Vulkan delivers highly-efficient graphics/compute, OpenGL and OpenGL ES will continue to evolve.
          So everyone that used opengl/es will still use it, while everyone else will ignore vulkan, because why bother with vulkan, when it will be a second class citizen on every platform that matters?
          Also, can't wait for a vulkan state tracker for gallium.
          RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention it in the last threads, but the reddit account which made the first thread about the Vulkan trademark registration on /r/opengl is a throwaway with no further activity. I am 90% sure it was someone from inside Khronos who maybe got annoyed that noone else had found it yet and intentionally wanted to build up hype before GDC.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
              It's depend on what you mean as "development" because all low-level APIs are harder for independent developer.
              After all their main target is high performance for game engines that usually have huge development teams.
              It is probably harder to work with in theory, but since (in theory) the drivers should be less complex and you might have to deal with less driver bugs (*cough* AMD Catalyst *cough*), it may even itself out.

Comment

There is also /r/Vulkan sub which is set to private and was created 26 days ago. Wonder if it is also created by someone from Khronos.

Also you can always create highher level library build on top of low level API.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
                  I have to disagree. A compact, clean low-level API can be easier to deal with than a convoluted high-level monstrosity.

The deciding factor for Vulkan adaption will be hardware support and drivers imho.

Comment

One interesting detail is that the guy from Epic who will be speaking at the glNext (Vulkan) Keynote on Thursday is responsible for the mobile side of Unreal Engine 4.
                    Maybe we will see Vulkan running UE4 on Android. I hope it will be more than just a Vulkan version of their Zengarden Demo they did for Apples Metal API.

Comment

Working...
                    X