Not Everyone Likes The Possible "VULKAN" Name For Next-Gen OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    You said Mantle is not opensource and i said Nvidia's OpenGL is also not opensource.

Yes you can say "OpenGL is an open specification" that is fine, but no one said Mantle will be opensource or Nvidia's OpenGL will be opensource or thing like that.
    You are mixing the basics here. I just pointed out that Mantle (specification) is not even open source as AMD promised. The implementation will probably not be open source in Catalyst anyway. I pointed this out because Mantle is insignificant and it still got a lot of attention and name recognition.

Comment

As Star Trek nut Vulkan sound totally legit to me, also needs a strong word for a strong next gen API. I was shocked when Nintendo's Project Revolution turned into a Wii...

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
        You are mixing the basics here. I just pointed out that Mantle (specification) is not even open source as AMD promised. The implementation will probably not be open source in Catalyst anyway. I pointed this out because Mantle is insignificant and it still got a lot of attention and name recognition.
        AMD didn't promised Mantle will be opensource. Mantle is same as Nvidia OpenGL implementation, if you don't use that you are mostly generic in terms of performance with other vendors implementations...

Mantle is AMD only for now and Windows only and some games uses it optionaly beside DX11 as we know, it currently mostly compete with that and not OpenGL It might compete with DX12 too who knows... nothing wrong with that
        Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          AMD didn't promised Mantle will be opensource. Mantle is same as Nvidia OpenGL implementation, if you don't use that you are mostly generic in terms of performance with other vendors implementations...

Mantle is AMD only for now and Windows only and some games uses it optionaly beside DX11 as we know, it currently mostly compete with that and not OpenGL It might compete with DX12 too who knows... nothing wrong with that
          AMD has promised open sourcing Mantle serveral times, the last promise was before the end of 2014.

Comment

AMD has promised open sourcing Mantle serveral times, the last promise was before the end of 2014.
            no, they promised open API which has no connection with open source for anyone who coded more than 5 minutes in their life

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              no, they promised open API which has no connection with open source for anyone who coded more than 5 minutes in their life
              What's going on with you guys today? AMD promised an open spec, not an open implementation. I even checked eariler today, they have still not delivered.

Comment

So what, it might or it might not ever happen... it is privately developed between AMD and hundred of ISVs, even now they can promise it will be released as public API once it exit beta...

That also means if it not exit beta it will not be released

Comment

Why doesn't Khronos Group just adopt Mantle?
                  Is there anything wrong with Mantle?

Imagine if Microsoft would send Direct3D 12 to ISO for standardization, or if Apple sent Metal to ISO for standardization...

Is OpenGL-Next anything new, or is it just a Khronos rubberstamped Mantle?

Comment

What's going on with you guys today? AMD promised an open spec, not an open implementation. I even checked eariler today, they have still not delivered.
                    So what, glNext or VULKAN is also privately developed and it will be released once parties involved agree that it looks fine to be released.

And nvidia might release driver on API release day, but other vendors might do that after year or many years ahead are those are wrong - NO... it does not mean anything really if you see an API how good things will be actually, etc...

Point is - that no one talking about anything much opensource there

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      They can name it Unicorn for all I care.
                      THAT would be cool

(I don?t like Vulkan at all.)

Comment

Working...
                      X