replied
    Hopefully they will get scared enough to release the source codes :P
    Pressure them more and more...

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Our code mixed with spyware does harm to reputation

Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
    Aren't these kind of tablets full of backdoors and spymodified Google Play executables?
    If these tablets used GPL code in the kernel in violation of the GPL, a closed video driver stack, and contain backdoors and spyware, that has the potential to make Linux (which underpins Android) look like spyware or insecure sofware to parties unfamiliar with Linux in general. If people conflate Android with the Linux kernel and say "Linux, iOS, what's the difference, they both contain spyware," that's real reputation damage that could bring dollar damages in a lawsuit.

Leave a comment:

• k1l_
    replied
    there is a big example for stuff like this:
    linksys used to violiate the gpl with using iptables in their firmware for the wrt-54G router. They got sued and forced to open the sourcecode and that was the beginning of dd-wrt, openwrt and such router firmwares.

I dont remember who did sue them in 2003 but imho the fsf.org should be the right adress for that sort of legal issues. I think a fundraising for a lawsuit should be very welcome on the whole ARM community and, besides the obvious misstakes to be cleared, should give a strong signal to the manufacturers to rethink their handling and cooperation with the community.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    The company is in China so I don't think there are any means to sue them with any chance of success.
    Thats the reason for a import stop.

Leave a comment:

• kenjitamura
    replied
    The company is in China so I don't think there are any means to sue them with any chance of success.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    The Topic is not new. Words are Cheap

Why not forbid the Import form the This SoCs? If they cant sell this crap they change there minds.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Somehow this reminds me of the busybox gpl violation cases. Ok, they don't have got the code for a lib containing ffmpeg/vp6 code. Impressive, pure ffmpeg can do that. What do you gain with released code: nothing, but a better feeling. I really think gpl is good, but trying to enforce something completely useless like busybox (which was usually unchanged) or very old ffmpeg code is just lost time/money.

Leave a comment:

• Isedonde
    replied
    Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    http://www.allwinnertech.com/en/about/culture.htm
    really? really?
    "Allwinner always sticks to the corporation value of "market-orientation, integrity and responsibility, great execution, courage and discipline, profession and quality, openness and win-win, and persistence", and insists the corporation culture of "teamwork, honest and respect, profession and fairness, faith, openness and curiosity".
    Wow, that's a lot of bullshit.

If ffmpeg needs money to sue them, I guess some of us would love to donate. Open up the source or stop selling your products. Your choice, Allwinner.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Allwinner must absolutly be condamned for this, or we will see all vendors disregard Open Licences.

FOSS is one of the greatest win/win system in the world, what a shame to cheat on it...

Leave a comment:

• speculatrix
    replied
    here in England, copyright violation for commercial gain is a criminal offense

Understands how intellectual property crime and infringement occurs and impacts business.

do AllWinner have an office in the UK?
    Can't see one :-(

really? really?
    "Allwinner always sticks to the corporation value of "market-orientation, integrity and responsibility, great execution, courage and discipline, profession and quality, openness and win-win, and persistence", and insists the corporation culture of "teamwork, honest and respect, profession and fairness, faith, openness and curiosity".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X