No announcement yet.

More Proof That Allwinner Is Violating The GPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somehow this reminds me of the busybox gpl violation cases. Ok, they don't have got the code for a lib containing ffmpeg/vp6 code. Impressive, pure ffmpeg can do that. What do you gain with released code: nothing, but a better feeling. I really think gpl is good, but trying to enforce something completely useless like busybox (which was usually unchanged) or very old ffmpeg code is just lost time/money.

Comment

The Topic is not new. Words are Cheap

Why not forbid the Import form the This SoCs? If they cant sell this crap they change there minds.

Comment

The company is in China so I don't think there are any means to sue them with any chance of success.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
          The company is in China so I don't think there are any means to sue them with any chance of success.
          Thats the reason for a import stop.

Comment

there is a big example for stuff like this:
            linksys used to violiate the gpl with using iptables in their firmware for the wrt-54G router. They got sued and forced to open the sourcecode and that was the beginning of dd-wrt, openwrt and such router firmwares.

I dont remember who did sue them in 2003 but imho the fsf.org should be the right adress for that sort of legal issues. I think a fundraising for a lawsuit should be very welcome on the whole ARM community and, besides the obvious misstakes to be cleared, should give a strong signal to the manufacturers to rethink their handling and cooperation with the community.

Comment

Our code mixed with spyware does harm to reputation

Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
              Aren't these kind of tablets full of backdoors and spymodified Google Play executables?
              If these tablets used GPL code in the kernel in violation of the GPL, a closed video driver stack, and contain backdoors and spyware, that has the potential to make Linux (which underpins Android) look like spyware or insecure sofware to parties unfamiliar with Linux in general. If people conflate Android with the Linux kernel and say "Linux, iOS, what's the difference, they both contain spyware," that's real reputation damage that could bring dollar damages in a lawsuit.

Comment

Hopefully they will get scared enough to release the source codes :P
                Pressure them more and more...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  ... What do you gain with released code: ...
                  You might want to read this message.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    Thats the reason for a import stop.
                    +1

Unbelievable that the EU hasn't outright banned all Chinese trading until they start enforcing these things. How are western countries supposed to compete with people that have ZERO restrictions? Pick one or the other, not both.

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
                      You might want to read this message.
                      Nice one. Good to see an opinion also from a more commercial viewpoint.

On the import ban:
                      Well. Yes and no.
                      a) Some vendors manage interestingly much when it comes to SW patent violations. Like police clearing a booth at an exhibition.
                      But do "we" have similar influence? Can we proof commercial loss (I think that makes them react faster)?

b) You don't just block imports from China. You can't piss off China. China has so much money everywhere, in all continents. Also some people export to China. So it won't be easy. Furthermore bureaucracy is slooow.

But aside from these concerns, yes, it would be totally fair to ban these products.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X