No announcement yet.

More Proof That Allwinner Is Violating The GPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some A23/33 tablets have a preinstalled trojan that shows ads, change browser homepage to baidu and it's so deep in the system that if you remove the malevolent apks shows a big red DEMO watermark on the display: http://i59.tinypic.com/eqe2wm.jpg
    Not Allwinner related, maybe from tablet's OEM, shows the need of a more open platform to have something like CyanogenMod over the original infected roms.

Comment

I'd take a watermark over ads any day

Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
      Some A23/33 tablets have a preinstalled trojan that shows ads, change browser homepage to baidu and it's so deep in the system that if you remove the malevolent apks shows a big red DEMO watermark on the display: http://i59.tinypic.com/eqe2wm.jpg
      Not Allwinner related, maybe from tablet's OEM, shows the need of a more open platform to have something like CyanogenMod over the original infected roms.
      If the bootloader is locked and you can't remove both the trojan and the watermark, take it back and demand a refund. Vendors need to see "zero tolerance" for shit like this from the users. If you have one of these and cannot install a replacement OS, remove the trojan and live with the watermark, treating it as a reminder not to use it for anything sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Unbelievable that the EU hasn't outright banned all Chinese trading until they start enforcing these things.
        Someone has to start. Thats why i say that words are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          a) Some vendors manage interestingly much when it comes to SW patent violations.
          But we don't talk about patents. They break the license from the used software.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          b) You don't just block imports from China. You can't piss off China.
          That was never a Problem and tons of product never comes to US or EU because they don't pass standards or they cheap copy. China don't has a problem with that. And i doubt that each allwinner soc is directly imported from china.

Comment

The thing is, if we do nothing about this, it will convey to other companies that they can get away with this and the Open Source community will do nothing. So now, what are you prepared to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              The thing is, if we do nothing about this,
              Why do you say "we"? The Projects where the gpl is violated need to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Why do you say "we"? The Projects where the gpl is violated need to do something.
                We can make an official list of companies who violate the GPL and spread it so a maximum of consummers blacklist them.

A kind of lobbying.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  We can make an official list of companies who violate the GPL and spread it so a maximum of consummers blacklist them.

A kind of lobbying.
                  Thats embedded chips. You don't know in which devices this chip is. And the most customers don't care if it breaks a license or kills baby kittens until its cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    Thats embedded chips. You don't know in which devices this chip is. And the most customers don't care if it breaks a license or kills baby kittens until its cheap.
                    Then make a list of hardwares using it. Maybe this is not a big strike but if it can drop sales of 10% it is still hurting.
                    It works for food industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                      Then make a list of hardwares using it. Maybe this is not a big strike but if it can drop sales of 10% it is still hurting.
                      It works for food industry.
                      but i guess more people have downloaded films and music illegally than stolen an apple from the food store...

Comment

Working...
                      X