No announcement yet.

Linux 4.0 Doesn't Have The Weirdest Codename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, that has a striking resemblance to Eben Moglen. Please don't tell me that he's crazy, too.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      What the hell does that code name even mean?

Why the hell do we even need code names in the first place? What's wrong with LInux 4.0, Fedora 22, Ubuntu 15.4, Android 4.1, etc? Just stick to numbers and end this silly and meaningless trend. It's not even funny.
      All of these names are inside jokes, for example "shuffling zombie juror" was pun about Linuses treadmill that he uses with monitor and keyboard.
      He made a comment that he only can use keyboard if he walks dead slow and does some kind of side-stepping on it, resembling zombie walk.
      "Hur dur ima sheep" is joke about test poll that people weren't suppose to fill up and yet thousands did.
      Pirate codenames are related to releases dated at international day of pirate talk.
      "sheep on meth" was celebrating wireless code working (sheep got to fly).

I'm pretty sure there is a joke behind every codename.

Comment

I'll just leave this here:

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          What the hell does that code name even mean?

Why the hell do we even need code names in the first place? What's wrong with LInux 4.0, Fedora 22, Ubuntu 15.4, Android 4.1, etc? Just stick to numbers and end this silly and meaningless trend. It's not even funny.
          I think that is the point. Someone asks for a codename, and Linus tells them something stupid and hope they will stop asking.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
            All of these names are inside jokes, for example "shuffling zombie juror" was pun about Linuses treadmill that he uses with monitor and keyboard.
            He made a comment that he only can use keyboard if he walks dead slow and does some kind of side-stepping on it, resembling zombie walk.
            "Hur dur ima sheep" is joke about test poll that people weren't suppose to fill up and yet thousands did.
            Pirate codenames are related to releases dated at international day of pirate talk.
            "sheep on meth" was celebrating wireless code working (sheep got to fly).

I'm pretty sure there is a joke behind every codename.
            I guess with Linux is not an issue since those code names remain internal for the most part. But with other projects the code names are promoted publicly that people start using them instead of the numbers, and sometimes the code name replace even the brand itself. For example: This phone comes with KitKat preinstalled.

Comment

Working...
            X