Intel Is Currently The Number One Sponsor Of Linux Kernel Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Currently The Number One Sponsor Of Linux Kernel Development

Phoronix: Intel Is Currently The Number One Sponsor Of Linux Kernel Development

The Linux Foundation has released their annual Linux kernel development report from the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit taking place in Santa Rosa, California...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll be rated a troll but ... i wonder which place Canonical is filling

Thumb up Intel with all your blob only things you're annoying some of us!!

Best
    n.

Comment

I may not like how Intel treats their user base, but I definitely do like how serious Intel funds OSS projects. My only wish for OSS projects is that mesa didn't treat gallium vs classic as a Intel vs AMD battleground. There's a ton of things Intel can benefit from on the galluim interface. And there's a Ton of work that Intel has developed on the classic interface that AMD can benefit from. I think it's time for more cooperation, and in this case mesa has to be the mediator.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I may not like how Intel treats their user base, but I definitely do like how serious Intel funds OSS projects. My only wish for OSS projects is that mesa didn't treat gallium vs classic as a Intel vs AMD battleground. There's a ton of things Intel can benefit from on the galluim interface. And there's a Ton of work that Intel has developed on the classic interface that AMD can benefit from. I think it's time for more cooperation, and in this case mesa has to be the mediator.
        Mesa has sse version of minmax over some arrays in classic driver (vbo iirc) and there is virtually same code in gallium that could be reused with no modification and yet, I didn't see it included (I asked some time ago, no testing, no love).

commit
        this
        that

That code could have been reused in one more place that I found (and forgot about), but this is the first thingy that I came across. Virtually the same code.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I will congratulate Intel if they go Gallium road. Intel stop NIH, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by araxth View Post
            I'll be rated a troll but ... i wonder which place Canonical is filling

Thumb up Intel with all your blob only things you're annoying some of us!!

Best
            n.
            I will have to point you at the fact that Cannonical barely breaks even finantially, while MS makes millions and has a stake in making their hardware work on linux.

Now compare commits to dollars made. Cannonical contributes far above their capital should allow.

Comment

why?

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              I will congratulate Intel if they go Gallium road. Intel stop NIH, seriously.
              why? their driver model come first, and they control almost anything in mesa core, the others should change not intel

Comment

Why cannonical would contribute to the Kernel? Mostly contributions are done by HW Corporations

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  why? their driver model come first, and they control almost anything in mesa core, the others should change not intel
                  Because it is the right thing to do. You realize that Intel has completely separate OpenCL implementation from Gallium one?
                  Initially they didn't believed in Gallium, because there was no production ready driver. Now there are several ones, and ARM drivers just started to rise. In the end will be Intel vs. everybody else. Just like Canonical vs everybody else in other areas. Not cool!

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    This might sound contrary, so I apologize if this sounds strange.

The mesa core needs some change, and I think Intel is holding it back.

Comment

Working...
                    X