The Community Really Wants To See Linux 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creak View Post
    Well I think that anyone interested in the Linux kernel knows that there is a version every two or three months.
    i know i do. but, some of my friends... don't. and with all this "let's make linux mainstream for new users" number of those who don't will just rise.

Comment

i vote for kernel version 10 000 !

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky
        The community wants to *ahem* drop systemd and end Gnome3 madness.
        Upping kernel version numbers won't bring back Linux to what its used to.
        Users fifty-fifty, but devs like playful cleverness... that is why always half of people (if not much more) will not get why they want .

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          i vote for kernel version 10 000 !
          It's over 9000!

Comment

bring a new one

bring a 4.0 after 3.20 only with bug fixes and with lts support

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: The Community Really Wants To See Linux 4.0
              ... but it seems the community at least really wants this version bump to happen...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Voting-56-44
              To me, it doesn't look that way...

Comment

One more example: It is C++11 and C++14, not C++4.17

The only reason I can really see for not tracking the year but creating a meaningless Major Version number would be for marketing reasons. OS X!!! Adobe Reader X!!!! Lets have a release launch party for version 7! It is harder to hype versions by Year. It sets expectations... that is a double edge sword.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  i know i do. but, some of my friends... don't. and with all this "let's make linux mainstream for new users" number of those who don't will just rise.
                  So how many of those mainstream users actually care about the kernel version? Assuming they're on Windows or MacOS now - how many of them do you think could tell you the Windows or MacOS kernel versions?

I'm guessing none of them, because the kernel version really isn't all that important to most users - it's just an implementation detail for the OS. Even back when I ran an LFS system as my primary desktop, I couldn't have told you what kernel it was running, without looking... it's just not something worth wasting braincells on.

Comment

I agree that linux should really adopt a more coherent versioning scheme.. Wild-west-style arbitrary random major version bumps are just kind of weird..

Also, linus says he hates big numbers, so he already wants to bump major version up to 4.x........
                    ..but if he keeps doing that too often, soon the major version number will be huge also.. What will he do when linux gets to version 20.0?.. Linux 3.0 was just released in 2011! That is only 4 years ago!.. At this rate, linux 20.0 will be released in 2079!.. What is he going to do then since 20 is too big of a number for him??.. He really needs to think ahead and stop bumping the major version number so damn often..

If I had my way, linux 3.x would stick around until it reached 3.99, only then would it be time for version 4.x, and not before..

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                      I agree that linux should really adopt a more coherent versioning scheme.. Wild-west-style arbitrary random major version bumps are just kind of weird..

Also, linus says he hates big numbers, so he already wants to bump major version up to 4.x........
                      ..but if he keeps doing that too often, soon the major version number will be huge also.. What will he do when linux gets to version 20.0?.. Linux 3.0 was just released in 2011! That is only 4 years ago!.. At this rate, linux 20.0 will be released in 2079!.. What is he going to do then since 20 is too big of a number for him??.. He really needs to think ahead and stop bumping the major version number so damn often..

If I had my way, linux 3.x would stick around until it reached 3.99, only then would it be time for version 4.x, and not before..
                      Crisis! No new Linux kernel can be released because the largest version number 19.19 is reached!

Well, Linus will grow to not daunted by _large_ numbers, I bet.

Personally I like a YYYY.xx version number. xx could be month or doesn't matter. There are only so many releases in a year and can be easily tracked, and xx mostly will not be greater than 20. Linus could also be happy!
                      Last edited by goTouch; 17 February 2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X