Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notifications

It seems new notifications desing won't happen for 3.16: https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointFif...icationsUpdate
    So sad...

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
      It seems new notifications desing won't happen for 3.16: https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointFif...icationsUpdate
      So sad...
      Which is released in 5-6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Gnome 4 should be a VR desktop like this wayland compositor:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgtba_GpG-U
        I also want a VR desktop, but I want it as a seperate wayland compositor that I can select when I log in. Ideally I would want different compositors for:
        - desktop
        - mobile
        - vr
        - maybe console, but since consoles are basically just dumbed down desktops I would also be content with something like steam big picture

And I want to be able to have all of them installed, but select one depending on how I am using my computer. For this to happen smartphones and consoles need to become open platforms where you can easily install whatever you want. At least with steam machines consoles will hopefully be there soon. And of course having a desktop compositor in addition to a mobile compositor only makes sense if you have some kind of docking feature like what was originally planned with ubuntu phone.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
          I like Gnome 3 in general.

Only thing that i don't like is the tray icons and the notification system. Why couldn't it be like it was? why this strange menu in the bottom? But that is the only thing.

I like the way they have optimized the screen real estate, by removing the quick launch bar to the corner action thingey.
          And i like the responsiveness.
          The Top Icons extension moves notification icons to the top bar for those who prefer. I do not mind the default behaviour, once I got used to just running the mouse off the bottom of the screen to show the bar. Most things like the HP printer icon are rarely used (by me) and I am happy to leave them out of sight.

To each his/her own.

Comment

I need desktop icons myself

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            The absence of desktop icons is a good thing... reduces clutter, and discourages me from just dumping everything into one unstructured folder. I've disabled it under Gnome 2 on the old CentOS 5 machine I use at work, after getting used to it under Gnome 3...
            I need desktop icons myself, I find the whole GUI far less useful without them. That's why FOSS software gives us a choice to use them or not, to use icons in menus or not, etc. Everyone has their own "human interface guidelines" about what works for them. Neither in computers nor anywhere else in life have I ever been interested in "decluttering," those of us who are also mechanics are usually pack rats and work best that way.

You can re-enable desktop icons quite easily in GNOME (in Nautilus), even icons in menus as well by means of an override schema. Gtk4 might kill the latter(they are deprecated) but ports of things that need menu icons (like Gimp and Libreoffice) have been advised to simply use different widgets to do the same job.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              I need desktop icons myself, I find the whole GUI far less useful without them.
              Thing is, they're not even visible underneath all the windows anyway, so I need to either switch to a blank workspace, or minimize everything on the current one. And If I'm doing that, it's just as easy to open a nautilus window, or just use the shell search function...

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                The big question is "How many versions of Gnome will be needed for people to understand that just mimicking MacOS i not enough".
                Until now it is obvious that first tree versions are enough.
                It's seems that more and more people understand that and move away from this "usable" DE!
                GNOME is the farthest thing from OS X. It's more like Windows 8, but came out before anything about Windows 8 was released, so is obviously original and it's a lot easier to use IMO.

I like where GNOME is going. It's taken a direction and has just gone with it. That's what you have to do. It seems to be improving a lot, which is really good. It has it's issues but they know what they are doing so I'm pretty confident about that.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  I used to think that Mac OS was a usable system, then I started using it for work..... now I realise that the idea of application focus and single tasking is retarded and silly in an IT environment. Yes an office worker might get away with it, a student studying an assignment will if they're writing an essay. But when you need three screens and need to switch between a browser, multiple terminal windows, a ticketing system, and a CRM it becomes a nightmare to manage under OSX. We urgently need a new desktop system that moves beyond osx and Microsoft Windows. Gnome trying to be OSX is not that system. Gnome itself has had some great tools in the past. It's sad how bad it's gotten between Wheezy and Jessie.
                  CTRL + ALT + An arrow key. As far as I know, GNOME 3 has it also. That is all you need.

Comment

Gnome 3 sucks in sooo many ways... But it is still most working, complete and beatiful DE for Linux.
                    XFCE is good but it is pretty old and just ugly, also last development is very very slow. LXDE is mostly the same as XFCE but it is much worse in some aspects. LXQt not yet complete. KDE it is to heavy. Mate still doesn't have GTk3 support. Cinnamon is much slower than Gnome3. So it's bad. We only have ONE usable desktop, and even this one desktop sucks in sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many ways.
                    Recently I have discovered that Lumina desktop is usable in some sort of way but it is not complete(complete lack of energy saving configuration).

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
                      Gnome 3 sucks in sooo many ways... But it is still most working, complete and beatiful DE for Linux.
                      XFCE is good but it is pretty old and just ugly, also last development is very very slow. LXDE is mostly the same as XFCE but it is much worse in some aspects. LXQt not yet complete. KDE it is to heavy. Mate still doesn't have GTk3 support. Cinnamon is much slower than Gnome3. So it's bad. We only have ONE usable desktop, and even this one desktop sucks in sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many ways.
                      Recently I have discovered that Lumina desktop is usable in some sort of way but it is not complete(complete lack of energy saving configuration).
                      Sorry it is not Lumina Desktop, it is Budgie.
                      Why I can't edit my post?

Comment

Working...
                      X