No announcement yet.

Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm somewhat annoyed by the topbar. They have this big topbar but they don't do anything interesting with it. So I hide it. In the beginning I used autohide so it unhide when you get near it. But after some times I completely inactivated it in normal mode. If I need it I go out in the overview mode.

Comment

Odd. I have plenty of complaints* about GNOME Shell, and they include none of those. I actually do use Nautilus to set my desktop background most of the time. Honestly, I think today's the first time I've ever even started up the GNOME Image Viewer application, so using it to set desktop background wasn't on my radar at all; why would you want to start up some barely-related application whenever you want to set your desktop background? If you have few backgrounds, use the settings menu; if you have many, use Nautilus. I don't see where the Image Viewer is the optimal choice.

*All of which are fixed trivially with shell extensions, thankfully.

Comment

When I first tried GNOME 3 when it was new, I really hated it.
        I tried 3.14 now, and I am not sure what changed, but for some reason, I don't hate it anymore.

There is also the GNOME Classic Shell extensions, that is really nice too, even though it is a bit buggy (example fullscreen video in Firefox, then you cant close it).

Comment

Gnome Shell is the worst I've tried de .... prefer Unity and KDE!

Comment

GNOME 3 is perfectly usable as a DE now. I believe the only thing I really use gnome tweak tool for is enabling the minimize and maximize buttons on windows, although I do use it to change fonts and wallpaper settings, too.
            GNOME 3 has come a long way since it was first released and all the critical missing features and shortcuts have been implemented AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
              I'm somewhat annoyed by the topbar. They have this big topbar but they don't do anything interesting with it.
              I also find the topbar sort of weird. Other than displaying the time and system tray icons, it seems virtually useless. I haven't spent much time playing around with Gnome 3, but I find it weird that the only other thing the topbar does is display the name of the application that you're currently using - isn't that redundant and basically useless? I think if you're going to have a topbar, you might as well do something useful with it, like a global menu the way that Unity does (or think of some other useful function).

Comment

The big question is "How many versions of Gnome will be needed for people to understand that just mimicking MacOS i not enough".
                Until now it is obvious that first tree versions are enough.
                It's seems that more and more people understand that and move away from this "usable" DE!

Comment

How do I hide/autohide the topbar?

Comment

The thing that is really annoying in G3 is that it's not designed for people, it's not designed for usability, it's just designed to be "different from windows". It's a product of forced compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                      How do I hide/autohide the topbar?
                      With the "Hide Top Bar" extension. It will disable the hotcorner by default so open up settings and reenable it.

And the people who say the top bar is useless need to get some things to make it usefull. like the Weather app, EasyScreenCast, Lock keys, Places status indicator, Remove dropdown arrows, Settingscenter, Shutdowntimer, Volume mixer, Applications Menu.
                      There are plenty of extensions that make the top bar very useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X