Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
    I doubt that will be fixed since it's not a bug, it's a feature. I read somewhere that the devs wanted this behavior in order to harmonize the commands:
    - Ctrl + A (select all)
    - Ctrl + X (cut)
    - Ctrl + C (copy)
    - Ctrl + V (paste)
    - etc.
    - and then Ctrl + Del is just another command.
    Nope It has been fixed in GNOME 3.16 (or any latest development build). Instead of using control key, they reverted it back to del and added a undo notification to revert the delete if necessary(from trash can).

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      Nope It has been fixed in GNOME 3.16 (or any latest development build). Instead of using control key, they reverted it back to del and added a undo notification to revert the delete if necessary(from trash can).
      Oh ok, thx for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        Nobody forces you to add them, but majority of people do have icons on their desktops.
        With that argument type we still would be use all dos, because most people did use no gui os, and even if you use then windows 95, till then in 1000 years people would be allowed to use only 99% clones of windows 95.

People used that because A they most likely had no choice and B it was default, thats it. That is no reason to keep this default forever.

Comment

I tried to switch back to gnome recently, I am far from a gnome hater, and could use any other bigger desktop even less than gnome. And gnome has its place, but for me it has some problems you cant fix sadly with extensions.

I can use maximus2 and some other extensions, but multimonitor support is to bad, I cant switch per keyboard from monitor 1 to Monitor 2, except maybe I am to dumb to find the shortcut, the only thing I can do is with alt+tab switch to the app on the other screen, but that is way to indirect and to slow.

With that I could maybe go back to use it from a tiling wm. I use often windows fullscreen anyway so I dont need the tiling elements from one screen so much, but I need full keyboard-only control. mouse opitional is ok but it has to be optional.

Right now I landed in stumpwm and did fall in love spontanious (emacs user). And find it better than i3 is.

Comment

The fact that your complains are minor shows that Gnome Shell is becoming quite solid and user friendly.

Regarding the Rename annoyance, the solution is very simple: F2.

Comment

Nobody should be forced to use an interface they don't like

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              With that argument type we still would be use all dos, because most people did use no gui os, and even if you use then windows 95, till then in 1000 years people would be allowed to use only 99% clones of windows 95.

People used that because A they most likely had no choice and B it was default, thats it. That is no reason to keep this default forever.
              With FOSS software (GNOME included) people really do have a choice. No programmer has any business unilaterally deciding that people need to "declutter" their desktops or make any other UI change they don't want. If they do other programmers will offer alternatives. Windows 8 tried to make their start screen compulsory, and look what happened to them! I was amazed at how they did not learn from the Linux controversies about the exact same thing: trying to force people to abandon a UI that worked fine for them for decades.

In Linux you can still go straight to a shell prompt from boot (like the way DOS used to work) if you need to. This is common on things like servers where running X is a vulnerablity, or when a very low powered machine is used for something like a storage box and is accessed mostly from other computers. Would I want to run GNOME, Cinnamon, or MATE on a tiny 500 MHZ ARM board running a furnace or a car engine? I don't think so. Those would call for simple custom interfaces designed for that job only.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
                to not want to put up with G3's continuous removal of needed features like this nautilus bug which just got closed out today as WONTFIX.
                If you read the bug discussion thread, it appears that they plan on addressing this issue and then reclosing the bug as "FIXED".

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  With FOSS software (GNOME included) people really do have a choice. No programmer has any business unilaterally deciding that people need to "declutter" their desktops or make any other UI change they don't want. If they do other programmers will offer alternatives. Windows 8 tried to make their start screen compulsory, and look what happened to them! I was amazed at how they did not learn from the Linux controversies about the exact same thing: trying to force people to abandon a UI that worked fine for them for decades.
                  yes like people hated windows xp bubble design, people could choose the classic windows 2000 design, at the start people did that then they got used to the new design and all used the new bubble-gum design. So yes it was a mistake in marketing terms to not include a solid classic mode from the start, with that most people would just have not rage quited and would seen that the new ways are better in their adjustment speed they needed.

But the bigger point why gnome lost so many users was the backstabbing switch to unity at the start of gnome3 phase of ubuntu with a even more hated UI except maybe because less people use unity than gnome the hate was not taht loud, found it still funny that the votings in the ubuntu store for unity was worse than gnome-shells. And many who switched away that time was not included in that vote like me.

But forget about canonical... dont give it relevance for me I wait this 5-10 years till they go bankrupt or at least become a very minor distro, aka its loosing the rest of its still somewhat big relevance. people react to stuff often very slow... and many can ignore more crap for a longer time but I am shure canonical will even scare that people that could eat more crap at some point away.

btw the new ubuntu phone costs around doulbe the price of a similar motorolla phone with even lte and android 5.0... ubuntu tries to sell now to very expensive prices, with some marketing videos of their software, a bit like apple... some kind of respect... they have somethimes good marketing... just not much behind it... but again with apple its the same... so maybe that works for a group of people. I doubt its the normal GNU/Linux users, but I also doubt they can switch to phone users, mozillla kind of failed or did not have massive success at least, and Jolla looks stronger at the moment.

Comment

I rarely maximize anything but video or games

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    Thing is, they're not even visible underneath all the windows anyway, so I need to either switch to a blank workspace, or minimize everything on the current one. And If I'm doing that, it's just as easy to open a nautilus window, or just use the shell search function...
                    I rarely maximize anything but video or games, so part of my desktop is always visible. That's where I put conky and directories or files often used with other programs.

Comment

Phone users historically least concerned with FOSS or security

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      <snip>btw the new ubuntu phone costs around doulbe the price of a similar motorolla phone with even lte and android 5.0... ubuntu tries to sell now to very expensive prices, with some marketing videos of their software, a bit like apple... some kind of respect... they have somethimes good marketing... just not much behind it... but again with apple its the same... so maybe that works for a group of people. I doubt its the normal GNU/Linux users, but I also doubt they can switch to phone users, mozillla kind of failed or did not have massive success at least, and Jolla looks stronger at the moment.
                      Keep in mind, "phone users" as an aggregate means people used to an ecosystem of paid closed apps replacing the use of browsers with websites held to open standards. It means people happily snapping up the iCrap of the day with both vendor and phone company provided spyware, and treating that spyware as an expected fact of life. That no doubt explains why Ubuntu Unity sees integrating local and remote search as a good idea. At least in Ubuntu you can turn it off. In Android (as installed on any cell phone store's machine) or iOS you will never even FIND all the spyware.
                      Of course, any OS could have spyware dropped into it by a malicous installing party, I would not trust even my own personal distro if it was sold back to me by a cellphone store, not for one minute.

"Switching to phone users" thus means a complete switch of mentality unless you want to do what Linux did on the desktop: target the userbase that has gotten disgusted with software that can never be trusted, can only be fixed by the store, offers few options, and then charges money for all that. As for "bells and whistles," GNOME 2, KDE, compiz, and cairo-dock have all proven we can compete with anyone on that basis!

Comment

Working...
                      X