Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just wait...

Revisit this topic after the next release, when they will randomly change/eliminate half of the features and keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
      Or they have used a Linux desktop long enough, in my case 20 years, to not want to put up with G3's continuous removal of needed features like this nautilus bug which just got closed out today as WONTFIX. No amount of extension support will fix that brain damage either.
      Why not use Thunar? Works great in Gnome.

I'm pretty sure just about every bug in gnome currently has a good solution.
      Please post all there countless issues.
      Last edited by grndzro; 16 February 2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Just my opinion.... when KDE 4 came out, many things didn't work right. And most of it was fixed... and feature wise, it has more than Gnome 3. With that said, it was a struggle going from KDE 3 to KDE 4.... and it took time to become really "good" (noting that there are still some things that you could do with KDE 3 that you can't easily do with KDE 4).

I've never been a huge fan of Gnome, but now that I'm using Fedora, I have Gnome 3. I guess the thing I don't like is that Gnome 3 isn't being fixed *inside the box* but requires you to download a bunch of add-ons from "who knows" in order to make the desktop reasonable. Just my own observation.

I still use KDE 4 wherever possible, just not on my Fedora host....

Oh... another nit, is that x2go (freeNX) won't work with Gnome 3, so I have to use Mate (Gnome 2-ish) ... or KDE...

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post

Yea, replace Gnome 3 bit by bit until you don't have any of it left, then you have a properly working desktop. Or just install something else like KDE or MATE.
          Last edited by calc; 16 February 2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

From what I recall, since I don't use G3 any longer, Thunar also doesn't help with the date/time view problem with the file chooser present in all applications.

Comment

From what I recall, since I don't use G3 any longer, Thunar also doesn't help with the date/time view problem with the file chooser present in all applications.
              Then you really have no clue why a ton of people are switching to Gnome 3.14.
              Criticism out of ignorance.

Comment

Then you really have no clue why a ton of people are switching to Gnome 3.14.
                Criticism out of ignorance.
                So they suddenly decided to fix this crap since 3.12? I still have 3.12 apps on my system although I try to use them as infrequently as possible due to the huge usability mess that Gnome is. The release notes at least don't indicate that they have done anything in 3.14 to improve things.

Comment

The single thing I miss most in Gnome3

highDPI support.

Desktop is dual-screen with 1xFullHD and 1x4K.
                  Laptop is 2560x1440 @ 14" (X1 carbon, rocks)

highDPI set to 2 is to "large" for the 4K display (effectively FullHD screen espace) and sadly renders the second screen unusable as FullHD has the screen espace of a 960x540 screen then...

@ Michael Larabel: How do you handle highDPI screens on Fedora/Gnome?

Cheers,
                  Michael

Comment

So they suddenly decided to fix this crap since 3.12? I still have 3.12 apps on my system although I try to use them as infrequently as possible due to the huge usability mess that Gnome is. The release notes at least don't indicate that they have done anything in 3.14 to improve things.
                    Can you specify or is it just general crap. If you simply don't like Gnome then why didn't you say so instead of alluding to a plethora of mysterious problems you cant get into. It appears you joined this thread simply to bash Gnome 3 and prop up KDE and MATE.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
                      Yea..del key not doing any del annoys me as well. I actually thought that was a bug till this article. Thanks for pointing that out Michael.
                      Glad it will be fixed for next release
                      I doubt that will be fixed since it's not a bug, it's a feature. I read somewhere that the devs wanted this behavior in order to harmonize the commands:
                      - Ctrl + A (select all)
                      - Ctrl + X (cut)
                      - Ctrl + C (copy)
                      - Ctrl + V (paste)
                      - etc.
                      - and then Ctrl + Del is just another command.

Comment

Working...
                      X