X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grndzro
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post
    From what I recall, since I don't use G3 any longer, Thunar also doesn't help with the date/time view problem with the file chooser present in all applications.
    Then you really have no clue why a ton of people are switching to Gnome 3.14.
    Criticism out of ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by grndzro View Post
    Why not use Thunar? Works great in Gnome.

I'm pretty sure just about every bug in gnome currently has a good solution.
    Please post all there countless issues.
    From what I recall, since I don't use G3 any longer, Thunar also doesn't help with the date/time view problem with the file chooser present in all applications.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied

Yea, replace Gnome 3 bit by bit until you don't have any of it left, then you have a properly working desktop. Or just install something else like KDE or MATE.
    Last edited by calc; 16 February 2015, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    Just my opinion.... when KDE 4 came out, many things didn't work right. And most of it was fixed... and feature wise, it has more than Gnome 3. With that said, it was a struggle going from KDE 3 to KDE 4.... and it took time to become really "good" (noting that there are still some things that you could do with KDE 3 that you can't easily do with KDE 4).

I've never been a huge fan of Gnome, but now that I'm using Fedora, I have Gnome 3. I guess the thing I don't like is that Gnome 3 isn't being fixed *inside the box* but requires you to download a bunch of add-ons from "who knows" in order to make the desktop reasonable. Just my own observation.

I still use KDE 4 wherever possible, just not on my Fedora host....

Oh... another nit, is that x2go (freeNX) won't work with Gnome 3, so I have to use Mate (Gnome 2-ish) ... or KDE...

Leave a comment:

• grndzro
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post
    Or they have used a Linux desktop long enough, in my case 20 years, to not want to put up with G3's continuous removal of needed features like this nautilus bug which just got closed out today as WONTFIX. No amount of extension support will fix that brain damage either.

Last edited by grndzro; 16 February 2015, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fagzal
    replied
    just wait...

Revisit this topic after the next release, when they will randomly change/eliminate half of the features and keyboard shortcuts.

Leave a comment:

• aigarius
    replied
    I have been a Gnome2 user and Gnome3 hater for many years, but last year I tried Gnome3 again (in a fresh Debian testing) and was simply blown away - it is now the best desktop environment in existence. The way you have separate virtual desktops for each monitor just makes life much more convenient. OpenGL apps that always work perfectly. Search that is actually useful and works. Notifications that you don't disappear into the void. Sure there are some niggles, but after a few months with Gnome3 I tried using Gnome2 or XFWM or Unity again and I was just stunned and how annoying those environments were after getting used to Gnome3 workflow.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    That's the same as saying I used KDE4 or Unity when it first came out and its the biggest POS I'v ever seen....uh ya they were pretty bad when they first came out. WTF does that have to do with today?

Most of these haters used G3 in it's infancy or are genuinely stupid and unable to tweak their OS.
    Or they have used a Linux desktop long enough, in my case 20 years, to not want to put up with G3's continuous removal of needed features like this nautilus bug which just got closed out today as WONTFIX. No amount of extension support will fix that brain damage either.

I don't use G3 due to the countless issues like the one above and that G3 has also gutted usable multihead support.
    Last edited by calc; 16 February 2015, 11:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BSDude
    replied
    Due to licensing issues Fedora doesn't ship proper font support. It's just hideous! Moving from an official release to rawhide is another problem. I would get locks when rebooting to perform updates.

Leave a comment:

• Hextremist
    replied
    Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
    I also find the topbar sort of weird. Other than displaying the time and system tray icons, it seems virtually useless. I haven't spent much time playing around with Gnome 3, but I find it weird that the only other thing the topbar does is display the name of the application that you're currently using - isn't that redundant and basically useless? I think if you're going to have a topbar, you might as well do something useful with it, like a global menu the way that Unity does (or think of some other useful function).
    It is actually used for something, at least some Gnome Apps like the Terminal has a menu up there. This is where you have to go to configure new terminals appearing as tabs instead of windows. It took a while before I realized, I first thought the apps were just dumbed down.

This is back to Mac (and AmigaDOS) behavior I guess...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X