• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke
    replied
    Nobody should be forced to use an interface they don't like

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    With that argument type we still would be use all dos, because most people did use no gui os, and even if you use then windows 95, till then in 1000 years people would be allowed to use only 99% clones of windows 95.

People used that because A they most likely had no choice and B it was default, thats it. That is no reason to keep this default forever.
    With FOSS software (GNOME included) people really do have a choice. No programmer has any business unilaterally deciding that people need to "declutter" their desktops or make any other UI change they don't want. If they do other programmers will offer alternatives. Windows 8 tried to make their start screen compulsory, and look what happened to them! I was amazed at how they did not learn from the Linux controversies about the exact same thing: trying to force people to abandon a UI that worked fine for them for decades.

In Linux you can still go straight to a shell prompt from boot (like the way DOS used to work) if you need to. This is common on things like servers where running X is a vulnerablity, or when a very low powered machine is used for something like a storage box and is accessed mostly from other computers. Would I want to run GNOME, Cinnamon, or MATE on a tiny 500 MHZ ARM board running a furnace or a car engine? I don't think so. Those would call for simple custom interfaces designed for that job only.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    The fact that your complains are minor shows that Gnome Shell is becoming quite solid and user friendly.

Regarding the Rename annoyance, the solution is very simple: F2.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    I tried to switch back to gnome recently, I am far from a gnome hater, and could use any other bigger desktop even less than gnome. And gnome has its place, but for me it has some problems you cant fix sadly with extensions.

I can use maximus2 and some other extensions, but multimonitor support is to bad, I cant switch per keyboard from monitor 1 to Monitor 2, except maybe I am to dumb to find the shortcut, the only thing I can do is with alt+tab switch to the app on the other screen, but that is way to indirect and to slow.

With that I could maybe go back to use it from a tiling wm. I use often windows fullscreen anyway so I dont need the tiling elements from one screen so much, but I need full keyboard-only control. mouse opitional is ok but it has to be optional.

Right now I landed in stumpwm and did fall in love spontanious (emacs user). And find it better than i3 is.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Nobody forces you to add them, but majority of people do have icons on their desktops.
    With that argument type we still would be use all dos, because most people did use no gui os, and even if you use then windows 95, till then in 1000 years people would be allowed to use only 99% clones of windows 95.

People used that because A they most likely had no choice and B it was default, thats it. That is no reason to keep this default forever.

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Nope It has been fixed in GNOME 3.16 (or any latest development build). Instead of using control key, they reverted it back to del and added a undo notification to revert the delete if necessary(from trash can).
    Oh ok, thx for the correction.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by whitecat View Post
    I doubt that will be fixed since it's not a bug, it's a feature. I read somewhere that the devs wanted this behavior in order to harmonize the commands:
    - Ctrl + A (select all)
    - Ctrl + X (cut)
    - Ctrl + C (copy)
    - Ctrl + V (paste)
    - etc.
    - and then Ctrl + Del is just another command.
    Nope It has been fixed in GNOME 3.16 (or any latest development build). Instead of using control key, they reverted it back to del and added a undo notification to revert the delete if necessary(from trash can).

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
    Yea..del key not doing any del annoys me as well. I actually thought that was a bug till this article. Thanks for pointing that out Michael.
    Glad it will be fixed for next release
    I doubt that will be fixed since it's not a bug, it's a feature. I read somewhere that the devs wanted this behavior in order to harmonize the commands:
    - Ctrl + A (select all)
    - Ctrl + X (cut)
    - Ctrl + C (copy)
    - Ctrl + V (paste)
    - etc.
    - and then Ctrl + Del is just another command.

Leave a comment:

• grndzro
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post
    So they suddenly decided to fix this crap since 3.12? I still have 3.12 apps on my system although I try to use them as infrequently as possible due to the huge usability mess that Gnome is. The release notes at least don't indicate that they have done anything in 3.14 to improve things.
    Can you specify or is it just general crap. If you simply don't like Gnome then why didn't you say so instead of alluding to a plethora of mysterious problems you cant get into. It appears you joined this thread simply to bash Gnome 3 and prop up KDE and MATE.

Leave a comment:

• Michael.Heimann
    replied
    The single thing I miss most in Gnome3

highDPI support.

Desktop is dual-screen with 1xFullHD and 1x4K.
    Laptop is 2560x1440 @ 14" (X1 carbon, rocks)

highDPI set to 2 is to "large" for the 4K display (effectively FullHD screen espace) and sadly renders the second screen unusable as FullHD has the screen espace of a 960x540 screen then...

@ Michael Larabel: How do you handle highDPI screens on Fedora/Gnome?

Cheers,
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by grndzro View Post
    Then you really have no clue why a ton of people are switching to Gnome 3.14.
    Criticism out of ignorance.
    So they suddenly decided to fix this crap since 3.12? I still have 3.12 apps on my system although I try to use them as infrequently as possible due to the huge usability mess that Gnome is. The release notes at least don't indicate that they have done anything in 3.14 to improve things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X