No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Still Deciding Linux 3.20 vs. Linux 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly Linus, trying to force me into having a Google account just to vote on issues relating to the Linux Kernel.

Comment

Number 4 is UNLUCKY. Four and Death both sound same in Japanese (Shi).

Go straight to 5, if you feel the need.

Comment

The sadistic side of me wants 4.0 just to spite those who write for kernel-specific naming (the 3.0 version caused a few headaches due to some programs looking specifically for 2.6.x instead of 3.x).
        Joking aside, nothing really warrants a major version bump that I'm aware of. Maybe give it another 6-8 months and see what the progress is then?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          Someone in Linus' G+ thread mentioned the same thing for the Chinese language.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            You mean the inclusion of Kdbus? Swapping out iptables for nftables? Splitting GPU drivers into render-nodes? "Major" changes don't just get tossed in and happen all at once, they happen incrementally and gradually sneaking in bit by bit under the radar.
            I'm aware, but if the kernel breaks compatibility with software, that warrants a major version change. The way I see it, a version number should be used as a guideline of compatibility, or, should signify a re-write. That being said, the linux kernel could probably be near the 20s by now, though, in a binary perspective, we're still in 2.6.x. To me, the first number should resemble strictly binary compatibility, the 2nd number should resemble major kernel changes that can make a binary-compatible program malfunction, the 3rd number should be minor release. The only reason I don't think that versioning scheme matters is because at this point, there will never be another kernel release to break binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
              Someone in Linus' G+ thread mentioned the same thing for the Chinese language.
              I think that makes it so much more appropiate for some reason.

Comment

Of course, Linux 4 is unlucky. And also means death. But only for humans

Comment

I don't particularly care myself, but didn't quite a few scripts break when the kernel jumped from 2.6 to 3.0? IIRC, VMWare player went a little crazy when attempting to compile modules because of the version jump, had troubles finding the kernel headers or something, quickly patched by VMWare (And had workarounds anyways) but still. How many things will break this time?

And pls don't respond with "Well VMWare's bad, it's not open source", I really don't care. I lurk this forum enough to know that a bunch of you like to make that argument for the sake of arguing. I like to use VMWare.

Comment

Go straight to 5, if you feel the need.
                    No shit!? Now some anime I've been watching makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
                      I don't particularly care myself, but didn't quite a few scripts break when the kernel jumped from 2.6 to 3.0? IIRC, VMWare player went a little crazy when attempting to compile modules because of the version jump, had troubles finding the kernel headers or something, quickly patched by VMWare (And had workarounds anyways) but still. How many things will break this time?

And pls don't respond with "Well VMWare's bad, it's not open source", I really don't care. I lurk this forum enough to know that a bunch of you like to make that argument for the sake of arguing. I like to use VMWare.
                      You might want to look at open-vm-tools. Majority of distros package that, it's open source guest extensions for VMware

Comment

Working...
                      X