X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    It does actually make sense if you think about like this.....

Adding up all the changes between 3.0 and 3.20 accumulates to a ton of change. It's the accumulation of change that warrants the major version change.
    I would say that if it breaks backwards compatibility it is worth a version bump. Everything else is incremental and should be considered a revision.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    No shit!? Now some anime I've been watching makes more sense.
    Four elements are an even, balanced system, hence stop moving. Missing fifth element, wood (aka spirit), is missing, which brings chaos and disbalance, and movement.
    Also, DX skipped four exactly due to this, but LibreOffice seems fine...

Leave a comment:

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
    And pls don't respond with "Well VMWare's bad, it's not open source", I really don't care.
    And Linux devs usually do not care about proprietary stuff related to kernel. It kinda to easy to guess who will prevail. So whoever tells "%s is bad, it is not open source" just being yet another Captain Obvious. Nothing more, nothing less. But of course you have each and every right to learn simple things hard way.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    I'm talking about the host modules VMWare requires to run.
    Oh, so you're actually running Linux as VMware Player host? Interesting, never heard before of anyone having done that

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Yeah the GTK / GNU release style.. never really got the point of it, like it just seems like it'd be confusing for newcomers since theyd be trying to find the odd numbered versions naturally assuming that it goes 2.0 --> 2.1 --> 2.2. But that's a different topic entirely lol
    As far as I'm concerned they are 11 years behind schedule. That type of release cycle encourages breakage mentlity. After all, they can do what they want, if the user wants an unbroken version they can just use the last version. But little do they realize that only leads to every version being incompatible with every version.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    I remember those times before 2.6. Every even numbered release was "stable" and every odd numbered release was "testing". Starting at 2.0 and 2.1, then 2.1 became 2.2, etc, until 2.5 became 2.6. That's when Torvalds really decided it was time to stop breaking shit. That's when 2.6 became a rolling release.
    Yeah the GTK / GNU release style.. never really got the point of it, like it just seems like it'd be confusing for newcomers since theyd be trying to find the odd numbered versions naturally assuming that it goes 2.0 --> 2.1 --> 2.2. But that's a different topic entirely lol

Leave a comment:

• Helios747
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    You might want to look at open-vm-tools. Majority of distros package that, it's open source guest extensions for VMware
    I'm talking about the host modules VMWare requires to run.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Version numbers as a whole are completely arbitrary anyway, they matter yes (in relation to eachother) but they as a whole scheme are arbitrary. There's no "pointless breakage" either, apps that only check for "2.6.x" or "2.4.x" broke anyway during the shift to 3.x. Any app written to take account for 3.0 should've been written to take into account for the fact that the version number is subject to change as shown by the move from 2.6.x to 3.x. If anything breaks at this point it is completely the developer's fault as they were warned.

I really don't get all the hate that surrounds version numbers, whether it be the kernel or anything else. We've hit the point technologically where there aren't revolutionary releases and everything is more evolutionary-- release early and release often. Plus the benefit of Linus' "Dont break shit" policy in the kernel means that there would likely never be a "We broke everything. Major version bump." release anyway. The last time that happened was like 2004 during the switch from 2.4 to 2.6-- 11yrs ago. (God 2004 was 11 years ago...)
    I remember those times before 2.6. Every even numbered release was "stable" and every odd numbered release was "testing". Starting at 2.0 and 2.1, then 2.1 became 2.2, etc, until 2.5 became 2.6. That's when Torvalds really decided it was time to stop breaking shit. That's when 2.6 became a rolling release.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    I don't particularly care myself, but didn't quite a few scripts break when the kernel jumped from 2.6 to 3.0? IIRC, VMWare player went a little crazy when attempting to compile modules because of the version jump, had troubles finding the kernel headers or something, quickly patched by VMWare (And had workarounds anyways) but still. How many things will break this time?

And pls don't respond with "Well VMWare's bad, it's not open source", I really don't care. I lurk this forum enough to know that a bunch of you like to make that argument for the sake of arguing. I like to use VMWare.
    You might want to look at open-vm-tools. Majority of distros package that, it's open source guest extensions for VMware

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Number 4 is UNLUCKY. Four and Death both sound same in Japanese (Shi).

Go straight to 5, if you feel the need.
    No shit!? Now some anime I've been watching makes more sense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X