No announcement yet.

It Takes A While To Boot The BQ Ubuntu Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care if it uses a Mediatek cpu. Processor speeds on phones are pointless for me. What you going to do, play Crysis on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Onuca_V View Post
      There is nothing abnormal in that boot time. If something is abnormal is because it's really good considering the factory reset, anyway, boot time is one of those first things developers try to decrease, and we can expect updates doing so.

The only thing I don't like is I won't get it soon.
      Some people will always complain, if first Ubuntu phone was top of the line then they would complain how it is too expensive and no one wants to spend that kind of money for a phone with a completely new OS, just like some are complaining about how BQ Aquaris HD 4.5 has low specifications, those can wait for Meizu MX4 or MX4 Pro if they want a more powerful phone, but most critics here seem to criticize just for the sake of criticizing and they dont plan on buying any Ubuntu phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        I don't care if it uses a Mediatek cpu. Processor speeds on phones are pointless for me. What you going to do, play Crysis on it?
        Exactly, if the OS performs well on the hardware who cares about how many GHz it has, some people obsess too much about specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          Wasn't the main point that with Mediatek you're stuck forever with buggy closed source drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Wasn't the main point that with Mediatek you're stuck forever with buggy closed source drivers?
            Yes for some that was the point, but that has been thoroughly discussed on another thread related to BQ phone, the one about binary blobs.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't take all day to start up and that was the question.

this guy, so much hate, the phone is not out yet i see the same phone with android with the same boot time

Comment

Jolla boots in 15 sec, and with a dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM it's perfomance is superb.

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Also, keep in mind that Meego died in favor of this..... wow.
                Nope. Mer is a derivative of Meego, but all free (libre) software. Mer is GNU/Linux with Wayland and Qt graphic libraries. SailfishOS (used in Jolla) (native and android apps) and Tizen (HTML5 apps) are based on Mer. Firefox uses HTML5 apps too. Any OS could easily suport HTML5 apps. Ubuntu use native apps for Unity with Qt libraries. It would be easy to port apps from SailfishOS to Ubuntu and from Ubuntu to SailfishOS.

I love SailfishOS, but I expect to see Ubuntu Touch improves.
                Last edited by malkavian; 07 February 2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Too bad it is being trashed on arstechnica. (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...s-like-plan-b/)

Please read the whole article. Goes from bad to worse.

Also, keep in mind that Meego died in favor of this..... wow.
                  It was really bizarre for me reading that article the first time; it seemed like a train of compliments and awesome features, and suddenly the end was "This phone is literally cancer."

On reading it a second time, I realized that I had just been replacing all of the author's bias against Tizen with a collection of my own preferences which generally favored the very same design decisions that they had been criticizing. (A *standardized* menu button rather than hiding it in a random location in the app? A home screen which is actually *clean and readable* rather than a cluttered mess of icons? A standardized and even *customizable* color and icon theme?) Oh, well. The resulting increase in my excitement regarding Tizen is still the same, even if Ars Technica tastes a bit strange with the standard Phoronix pinch-of-salt.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
                    Jolla boots in 15 sec, and with a dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM it's perfomance is superb.
                    Yeap. Likely some of that is because it uses systemd. As an added bonus one can use systemd-analyze to make it even faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                      Yes for some that was the point, but that has been thoroughly discussed on another thread related to BQ phone, the one about binary blobs.
                      I thought the conclusion there was pretty much Mediatek was something to avoid. Discussion about whether Mediatek has too poor performance to be usable seems silly to me from that starting point

Comment

Working...
                      X