It Takes A While To Boot The BQ Ubuntu Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    I believe it is 55 seconds or so, is that all day? Androids I used often took even longer to boot after factory reset. Tizen may be faster to boot but like the review on that site says, it doesnt offer much over existing OSes, Ubuntu Touch on the other hand offers innovative UI, scopes, future convergence once Unity 8 and Mir for the desktop are completed etc, there are enough Ubuntu users, and other Linux distributions users, as well as potential application developers to get the phone going, and convergence might be interesting for business users as well. It has more chance than FirefoxOS, Sailfish or Tizen to succeed, though they all may fail of course. Faster boot time is not much of an advantage over anything, we dont reboot phones all the time and 55 seconds is far from slow.
    Microsoft beat Canonical to their convergence idea already anyway. [1]I don't see what Ubuntu Touch brings new to the table. We're supposed to wait for 16.04 when all the convergence magic happens? Even Firefox is eating Canonicals convergence lunch at this time.
    Announced at International CES 2015, Firefox OS now powers Panasonic devices. Panasonic will be the first to bring Firefox OS to smart TVs.

They have multiple devices in 29 countries and different form factors. TVs in the near future and smartwatches and wearables are next. Where is my Ubuntu TV?
    Last edited by blackout23; 07 February 2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

hmmm, forget my posts on touch and stutter. i just noticed it is 170eur phone and i compared it to higher range i am used to. all phones in that range have more or less subpar touch.

my bad, but there is no option to edit my comments sadly

Comment

I believe it is 55 seconds or so, is that all day? Androids I used often took even longer to boot after factory reset. Tizen may be faster to boot but like the review on that site says, it doesnt offer much over existing OSes, Ubuntu Touch on the other hand offers innovative UI, scopes, future convergence once Unity 8 and Mir for the desktop are completed etc, there are enough Ubuntu users, and other Linux distributions users, as well as potential application developers to get the phone going, and convergence might be interesting for business users as well. It has more chance than FirefoxOS, Sailfish or Tizen to succeed, though they all may fail of course. Faster boot time is not much of an advantage over anything, we dont reboot phones all the time and 55 seconds is far from slow.
        Hah, a person with the nickname "Cerberus" being the biggest defender of Ubuntu reminds me of this image I made way back: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/11...uttleworth.png

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          hope you're right. the thing that i was concerned about was the fact that this is seen on most basic operations. although, the so many times ignored touch is more like sign of phone having sub-mediocre touch display. still, being first should not be excuse, i had a chance to test jolla which is the same thing of being 1st for sailfishos in line and that one had absolutely stunning performance

as far as mediocre hw, any phone hw out there right now is like supercomputer compared to phones of android 2 era.
          Jolla smartphone is way too expensive for what it offers and I am glad Canonical didnt go that way, first phones need be accessible to enthusiasts and 169.90 EUR is a decent price for a phone like Aquaris HD 4.5, if first Ubuntu phone had the same price tag as Jolla I wouldnt buy it, too much money. Meizu phones will likely cover both cheaper and more expensive side, M1 and MX4 or MX4 Pro are most probable candidates for Ubuntu Touch, M1 is rather amazing for the price tag, and MX4 and MX4 Pro cost much more but they are top of the line phones. I never tested Jolla so I cant say anything about its performance, on the other hand I consider Ubuntu Touch performance to be very decent for the first edition but opinions of course can be different, Ubuntu Touch also has a more complex UI than Jolla, not to mention that multiple scopes are active at all times which is likely more taxing on the performance, Ubuntu Touch is also under heavy development and BQ phone is based on 14.10 RTM and 15.04 is in development for quite a while now, I am guessing that future updates on BQ phone will increase performance.

Sure the mediocre phones now are much more powerful than first Android phones but Ubuntu Touch isnt comparable with old Android versions when it comes to requirements, it is a more complex OS with more functionality and UI is way more advanced than on old Androids. We can rant all day about this, different people will have different opinions on what is good performance, but as this is aimed at enthusiasts who will test the OS in real life I dont think nitpicking about occasional lag in scrolling is productive, Canonical is well aware that some things need polish and they are working on it, after all this is not a phone that will hit the carriers and your local mall shops, this might be considered a phone for real life use, testing, feedback and opportunity for developers to start working on applications.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            hmmm, forget my posts on touch and stutter. i just noticed it is 170eur phone and i compared it to higher range i am used to. all phones in that range have more or less subpar touch.

my bad, but there is no option to edit my comments sadly
            I didn't notice any stuttering. He seemed a little ham-handed with his finger-poking. The OS looked plenty responsive though.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              I didn't notice any stuttering. He seemed a little ham-handed with his finger-poking. The OS looked plenty responsive though.
              i wasn't talking about interface stuttering. just scrolling actions where you see his finger moving, while scrolling stops for a frame or two (only few times, but considering that those were most basic operations, that is not good outlook).

more i think about it, more it seems to me that stuttering derives from same reason as missed touch actions where you see him swiping or pressing and nothing happens.

but, as i said... at price 170eur this is more or less normal. you can't expect best touch display for that price. you get what you pay
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 07 February 2015, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Microsoft beat Canonical to their convergence idea already anyway. [1]I don't see what Ubuntu Touch brings new to the table. We're supposed to wait for 16.04 when all the convergence magic happens? Even Firefox is eating Canonicals convergence lunch at this time.
                Announced at International CES 2015, Firefox OS now powers Panasonic devices. Panasonic will be the first to bring Firefox OS to smart TVs.

They have multiple devices in 29 countries and different form factors. TVs in the near future and smartwatches and wearables are next. Where is my Ubuntu TV?
                Like anyone expected different? Microsoft a multibillion dollar company with thousands of developers and market leverage vs Canonical with about 500 employees many of which are not developers? Big surprise Microsoft is getting there first, though they are not fully there yet and their idea of convergence is somewhat different than Ubuntu's. If Canonical had their money and number of developers Ubuntu would have convergence already. You are comparing two totally different worlds, one with abundant money, as many developers as they need, and a massive leverage on the market with a small company that barely makes profit. Really nice and well balanced comparison.

And FirefoxOS comparison is out of place, FirefoxOS phones are present on the market for a while now, not comparable to Ubuntu who had their first phone on the market just now, their success or lack of it can be compared in a year or two. Ubuntu currently has no plans for TVs (which were put on hold) or smartwatches so comparing non existing product (that isnt even planned at the moment) to Firefox devices makes no sense, and TVs and smartwatches are not convergence Canonical aims at with their current plan, if and when Canonical decides to make Ubuntu for TVs and smartwatches we can discuss comparison then, when they are actually developed and on the market. You can compare features of FirefoxOS and Ubuntu Touch but not their success because Ubuntu phone appeared just now, after a year or two their success or lack of it can be compared.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Hah, a person with the nickname "Cerberus" being the biggest defender of Ubuntu reminds me of this image I made way back: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/11...uttleworth.png
                  Reading my posts causes indoctrination. You better watch out. We will achieve Unity of the human race.

Comment

Reading my posts causes indoctrination. You better watch out. We will achieve Unity of the human race.
                    But indoctrination is what the other guys do. You're supposed to just throw a lot of money so as everyone can no longer disagree with you

Comment

There is nothing abnormal in that boot time. If something is abnormal is because it's really good considering the factory reset, anyway, boot time is one of those first things developers try to decrease, and we can expect updates doing so.

The only thing I don't like is I won't get it soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X