Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Takes A While To Boot The BQ Ubuntu Phone

Phoronix: It Takes A While To Boot The BQ Ubuntu Phone

Following the announcement of the BQ Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition that will begin going up for sale next week, the first real hands-on videos of the Ubuntu Phone in action are starting to come out.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A while?
    I would say it's very fast compared to low end Androids.

Comment

My mid-range Android phone boots in 40 seconds. A low-end Android that I had a few years ago booted in about 2 minutes or so. That 55 seconds is not much considering booting is something you do rarely anyway, so I don't get the newsworthiness of this information.

And didn't the guy in the video say that he factory reset the phone before booting on video and that is why it's taking longer than normal?

Comment

If i understood that correctly it looks like that is the initial boot after a factory reset.
        Even on a higher end Android the very first boot takes a long time.

Comment

Seems completely reasonable. I've never measured it, but I'd say my Moto G with CM11 takes around one minute to reboot. My old Defy with CM7 took "ages".

Comment

The new Tizen phone with crap hardware which costs less than 100 USD boots in 17 seconds when you power it on for the first time.

Comment

It's not clear how long the boot process takes because there's a cut in the video.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be much faster once they switch to systemd.

Comment

I haven't paid much attention to the Ubuntu phone thing but does it run touch-optimized Linux desktop apps or just specialized mobile apps? If the latter, it will likely have the same problem other niche mobile platforms have...lack of apps and developer support going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  or just specialized mobile apps
                  This.

I think their plan is to eventually bring OpenOffice and other X11 apps to Unity 8 on Tablets, but obviously that's only useful when you have a mouse attached to your tablet. Right now, only special apps (based on Qt/QML) work.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                    If i understood that correctly it looks like that is the initial boot after a factory reset.
                    Even on a higher end Android the very first boot takes a long time.
                    Only a simple cache flush will mean my Nexus 5 boots up about maybe a little less than five minutes, because it will be optimizing the apps for the ART engine. Maybe the actual boot process takes a little less than in that YouTube clip, but after all it's a highend phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X