RMS Feels There's "A Systematic Effort To Attack GNU Packages"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    What hardware isn't supported yet by the BSDs?
    Off the top of my head,
    - AMD GPUs newer than Sea Islands
    - Intel GPUs newer than those found in Ivy Bridge
    - A huge chunk of printers
    - A HUGE chunk of WiFi cards and usb WiFi adapters

Comment

• Originally posted by PreferLinux View Post
      If the kernel was under the GPL v3, the only difference is that it would be easy to replace the kernel. And on many phones, it already is easy. So I don't see that it would make much difference at all anyway.
      I dont think that this proprietary/closed bootloaders would be ok with gpl v3 but maybe I am wrong, at least I think the vendors would have to make it doable, some today dont give the tools to install different roms, I think gpl3 would not allow such tivoisation but maybe I am wrong?

And even gplv2 would most likely not allow mixing this kernels with proprietary drivers, but that never a jury did desite I guess. Sadly nobody presses it. The existense of the nvidia blob is bad enough, but that people can deliver preinstalled such drivers like all android devices do.

Its funny that more or less no distro thinks that its ok to deliver this drivers, and if you say its because nvidia does not allow that, then they could preinstall the amd blobs, but again nobody does that. So most distros think thats not legal or at least not desided, but what do big companies with 1000 laywers care, right.

I dont know if that point would be different with gplv3, but the thing with tivoisation of android devices should be not allowed I think.

nearly forgot it, but if that would here be moderated, I know its not, this yogl_berra should be banned for calling people with different views retards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Mind explaining the similarity here?

Neither are believable examples of someone from either side, they're an over the top caricature of someone with some serious problems, both are ranting about fascism and making absurd statements portraying the other side as evil, and the writing pattern itself is exactly the same.
        You are the one with serious problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          yogl_berra should be banned for calling people with different views retards.
          There's a difference between having an opinion and being willfully ignorant on how copyright works. Try talking to a lawyer about it, you'll find I'm right. Also, you should be banned for not being able to spell this name properly.

Comment

The linux kernel uses a modified GNU GPL version without the "or later" clause, if it would be not the case and it would be GPL3 Android would be non-existent.
            Fixed that for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              - AMD GPUs newer than Sea Islands
              - Intel GPUs newer than those found in Ivy Bridge
              Solved at least on FreeBSD by using nVIDIA cards.

- A huge chunk of printers
              Only if they use a proprietary page description language. I never had problems with PostScript printers.

- A HUGE chunk of WiFi cards and usb WiFi adapters
              Till recently you could exchange WiFi cards with supported cards. Unfortunately at least Lenovo has started whitelisting WiFi cards.

I agree, with the BSDs you have to be more picky with hardware than with Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                Fixed that for you.
                I dont agree to that, there was tivo and there was alternatives that wasnt tivo. maybe they would have made android with a freebsd kernel or something else. and look at it there will be steamos without locked down bootloaders.

What clause do you think would be absolutly unaccaptable by bigger companies? I mean adding proprietary blobs like the google-blobs to a phone preinstalled would be as legal as its today, or did I miss here something.

Why do you need locked down bootloaders? There are all kinds of bootloader openess around, there are apple that will bann you from apple if you even root your device or unlock, there are many android devices where from beginning all tools to unlock and to change the bootloader were there from the first day, and there are the ones that are closed down hard.

could you at least say what exact passus is imposible to accept for big companies except some vague "everybody hates gplv3"?

there are even today or in the past vendors that helped you from the beginning to install this alternative things and advertise with it, oppo and one plus one.

I guess companies would released exactly the same version of software they did with gplv2, and after the release after some time maybe they would after telling them or even mentioning possible law suids they would then release the boot stuff.

I looked again the passus about tivoisation seems to be the only big point in gplv3 that got added the rest are more like other wordings and internationilsation, I dont see tivoisation a essantial point of android. if that would be true that would have made sure like apple does thats nearly impossible to flash different firmwares onto the devices except most of them dont care to much.
                They know that only 0.1 oder maybe 1% of the users do it, and they just dont care about this small percentage. Even samsung payed cyanogenmod developers, I just dont see your argument.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 10 February 2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• what do you even thing would be the altneraive, all newer alternatives if its android forks, firefoxos, ubuntuos or sailfishos are linux based too.

Btw there are examples where this big companies delivered even crappy linux versions with complete free bootloaders pre installed, remember the netbooks? Do you really think samsung would have missed on many billions per year turnover and interests per year because of a very tiny different lisense that would not hinder their business model in any imagend case? And all the other vendors, I doubt that.

Comment

I mean adding proprietary blobs like the google-blobs to a phone preinstalled would be as legal as its today, or did I miss here something.
                    Yes, you missed the part that says that companies dealing with mobile devices, especially the carriers, don't like the GPL V3 at all and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Android would simply not exist, iOS would dominate the market. Isn't it funny how a license that is aimed at user freedom would be responsible for having more locked down devices with closed source OS?

Comment

• Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                      Yes, you missed the part that says that companies dealing with mobile devices, especially the carriers, don't like the GPL V3 at all and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Android would simply not exist, iOS would dominate the market. Isn't it funny how a license that is aimed at user freedom would be responsible for having more locked down devices with closed source OS?
                      hmm so they hate it because they hate it right? hmm thought big companies are more rational. Or maybe they are and you just dont have better arguments

Comment

Working...
                      X